Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Something mentioned elsewhere...

Over at The Hardest Battle, Kiki is sharing the revealing of her true self. It's wonderfully exciting and makes me smile and want to cheer. I wanted to address something she said, but didn't want to put it in my comment, because I wanted that to be pure joy and celebration. So, I decided to mention it here.

Growing up, I was little-miss-must-do-everything-right. I didn't smoke, drink, or wear outrageous clothes. I corrected my father's swearing, including words like damn. Then I owned a horse.

My horse was gregarious and treacherous. I was blessed with his company for five years. He did things like spooking at nothing, to see if he could unseat me. When I cleaned his hooves, whichever hoof I was cleaning (you have to pick it up to clean out the dirt in case there's a rock imbedded) he would start to lean against me. I had to clean his stall, every day. I was in therapy for the second time, when he came into my possession. Within months, I was out of therapy. I joked about having 1,000 lb of therapy, every day; anything more was overkill. (He was actually cheaper than therapy.) I developed my own little saying that saw me through more days than I can count: "When you start the day shoveling shit, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day."

My favorite Winston Churchill quote: “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”

Which reminds me of another favorite quote by Groucho Marx: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am looking forward to reading your friend's post!! I love that "saying"...basically would sum up my life, and the paths I have been on!! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for the amazing examples I've found that inspire me to keep trying and do better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful post. I've always been afraid of horses. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good idea to have a healthy fear of them. Like all animals, they can be unpredictable and need to be respected. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...