With my severe acne, I often felt like a leper. People either stared or avoided looking at me. Some didn't want to be touched for fear I might somehow spread it to them. Then I dealt with bed bugs. I don't blame people for worrying. BB monsters are highly "contagious." They spread almost faster than rumors. Did you know they are a 1st World problem? And 1st World travelers are spreading them everywhere. The miserable little monsters are able to live over a year without eating, and they only eat blood and are attracted by carbon dioxide that you breathe out. Few poisons work on the monsters, and they quickly build up immunity so it doesn't help to keep spraying. In fact, that makes it worse. So make it thorough for a once and done. Encase mattresses and pillows, where they like to hang out, in sealed BB proof plastic. Treat corners and creases. Food grade (not pool grade) Diatomaceous Earth cuts them and dries them out but they have to walk through it, and it's impossible to train the little monsters. The BB monsters do not jump or fly, but they do scuttle and hitch rides. For heat to kill them, it has to be hotter than 125 degrees. Boiling water kills instantly. Vacuuming daily -- immediately removing the vacuum bag and taking it outside or in my case taking the canister outside and emptying it in a garbage bag, sealing the bag -- and putting it immediately in the outside trash is helpful. I confess, I don't vacuum everyday only because some days rolling out of bed is a challenge. Putting belongings in black plastic bags - because they absorb heat - and putting them outside in the sun on a hot day or in your car in the sun so the temperature reaches 140 for a couple hours will all stages. Washing in hot water kills but is unhelpful if your water is kept at 120 degrees. I keep mine lower so I don't accidentally scald myself with hot water; it also saves on the electric bill. Putting things in the dryer on the hottest setting also kills but often ruins anything not designed to take anything so hot. It is not about a dirty or clean house. I acquired mine when I helped with a clothing drive. Numerous friends acquired them from secondhand furniture, either for themselves or helping a friend. Do not beat yourself up. Be kind to yourself. Repellants but not killers include tea tree, peppermint, rosemary, and cedar oils.
No comments:
Post a Comment