Friday, October 8, 2021

Brain Dump

As I've been sorting, I found a dog magazine I'd ordered. The issue I'll be using for the next few Brain Dumps is from 2001. The first article I'll tackle discussed whole herbs, including a short blurb on "The St. John's Wort Fiasco." Numerous studies documented the benefits of St. John's Wort in helping people with mild to moderate depression. 

"The Great Deities of Science" decided that it needed to be studied so they could find the magic ingredient and standardize it. It didn't work. What did they do? Declared all the previous studies invalid. They did find other uses for it, but it had unpleasant side effects.

It was later determined that effectiveness required the use of other properties within the herb. In other words: Use the whole herb. However, you can't patent a plant. 

Follow the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank Goodness It's Sunday

~ A brief reprieve from coming summer weather ~ Ladybug hanging around my home ~ Favorite authors and books ~ Time with friends ~ God's ...