Thursday, September 15, 2011

Week Twelve of REAL...

The 9th: weigh in: 241 lb. I need to make a decision. Do I truly want to be healthy? Some of my food choices would suggest I do not. There is a part of me that is willing to be brutally honest that sometimes I'm choosing death by food. But that's far too simple. It's vastly more complicated. Unlike smoking or drinking, I cannot go cold turkey with eating. Dear God, I need a healthier way. I tossed some of the junk food, but not all. I know better than to deprive myself. Instead, I make deliberate choices about what I really want most. I love my chocolate chip cookies. I made those. I'm happy with only one. Really. I usually believe that, anyway. There are days. I'm liking: "Eat like you're healthy." I didn't stuff, today. One SEAL puppy rep. And baking cookies, I made an interesting discovery. I used the brown sugar I'd made myself, the brown sugar I'd thought tasted too much like molasses and not enough like the brown sugar I bought. I will never buy brown sugar again. That little extra was amazing in the cookies. It didn't make the cookies taste like molasses; it simply added a subtle layer of complexity.

The 10th: weigh in: 241.6 lb. Shoulder is considerably better. Not sleeping well, but never do this time of month. Day four or five of a migraine. Ugh. Two SEAL puppy reps. Took an easy one-mile walk with my sister. Watched the Dedication ceremony of the Flight 93 Memorial. The internet is such a blessing.

The 11th: weigh in: 241 lb. On this day, I am reminded that there are only two choices: Life or Death. Good or Evil. God or the adversary. When I don't take care of myself I am choosing death. Today, I choose Life and all that means.

The 12th: weigh in: 241 lb. Two SEAL puppy reps. One-mile walk. Physical therapy, without weights. Shoulder is doing much better. Made bread. Yummy! Did laundry. Worked on several projects. Headache is much improved, still there, but better than it was. I walk healthy, and I eat healthy. :-)

The 13th: weigh in 239.4 lb. Three weeks since I messed up my shoulder. I did my grocery shopping, and endeavored to be careful with my shoulder. One SEAL puppy rep. I am healthy. I walk like I'm healthy. I eat like I'm healthy. I sleep like I'm healthy. I exercise like I'm healthy. I am healthy. Really... I'm working on it. Killed a mosquito mid flight. Good reflexes. :-)

The 14th: weigh in: 240.2 lb. One-mile walk. Two SEAL puppy reps.

The 15th: weigh in: 239 lb. Waist circumference: 40". One SEAL puppy rep. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. My shoulder seems to be much better. The headache is finally gone. I could be discouraged by these numbers. I'm not. I'm becoming more aware of my desire to become healthy. I've caught myself preaching about weight loss, in the past, and hope I don't fall into that nasty trap again. I want to be healthy. The numbers are a way to keep myself in check. When I see the scale creeping up, it's a reminder (not that I don't know already) that I'm falling back into old habits. I will learn to be healthy.

7 comments:

  1. Keep going friend! The Lord will lead, guide and comfort you! lv alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, Alice. I need that right this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating healthy is hard. The more I try to "diet" the worse I eat. I try to eat healthy meals. A good tip is to fill your plate as normal. Leave 2 bites of everything and DON'T go back for seconds. Another great tip is to eliminate pop. Yep, even diet crap. Allow yourself two snacks a day of whatever you want. Chocolate - OK! Just don't gorge yourself. Grab 2 or 3 pieces and call it good.

    Another good way to get a chocolate craving satisfied is to drink a chocolate protein shake!

    This time of year, enjoy all the fresh fruit and veggies!

    Ok - I teach a weight loss management course at a gym! Sorry for the long post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to hear from an expert, Abby. I actually do quite a few of those. I know that for me the biggest obstacle is that mine is a mind game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really makes me think. It's hard to diet and eat healthy. Good luck on your pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wild cheering, sparks flying....YOU GOT THE MOSQUITO!!!!!

    How do you like that for over doing it? Did I mention I REALLY hate mosquitoes. :)

    I like your, "I need to make a decision." That is what it comes down to. Today I made 3 choices to step away from good health. My body is not happy with me. I like the eat healthy theme.
    (((hugs)))
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

What kind of insanity demands buying an electric car and not using A/C during summer to ease the burden on the electric grid? Please, trying...