Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Brain Dump

This was posted on a friend's social media. I politely chose not to respond. They're allowed to believe what they want. I'm not the thought police. I needed to explore each topic, to explain to myself what I believe and why:

8. I don't believe LGBT people should have more rights than you. I just believe they should have the *same* rights as you.

Why do you state this like they don't?

I read the Bill of Rights: https://nccs.net/blogs/americas-founding-documents/bill-of-rights-amendments-1-10

The only obvious rights violations I've seen of late are the right to freely practice religion and the un-infringed right to bear arms.

If you mean marriage, why didn't you say marriage? Last I checked, the supreme court has given them that right.

Or did you mean I should celebrate their marriage? Regardless of the fact that it violates God's law that marriage is between a man, a woman, and God. Or do you mean that I'm not allowed my religious rights in favor of their marriage rights? In the Bill of Rights, marriage is not listed but religion is.

For the record, marriage is a contract. Literally nothing has stopped anyone from making a legal contract between two people, outlining and including spousal rights.

It's important to note that my LGBT friends believe they have the same rights. They find the above statement ridiculous. They are appalled by how people who simply disagree with their lifestyle are treated as pariah.

Now, if you're referring to how people think, you can't legislate that. Freedom means people are allowed to be stupid, ignorant, intolerant, hateful, and all those ugly things. Freedom isn't only about the good things, like courage, kindness, and compassion. The good things make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...