Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Brain Dump

This was posted on a friend's social media. I politely chose not to respond. They're allowed to believe what they want. I'm not the thought police. I needed to explore each topic, to explain to myself what I believe and why:

12. I believe the systemic racism and misogyny in our society is much worse than many people think, and desperately needs to be addressed. Which means those with privilege -- white, straight, male, economic, etc. -- need to start listening, even if you don't like what you're hearing, so we can start dismantling everything that's causing people to be marginalized.

I believe racism and misogyny exist. I also believe they are manipulated. I see a lot of people looking for the worst, even if they have to make it up. Not everyone wants to "get along." Many people profit from creating chaos.

Are there those who discriminate? Always have been. Always will be. Did you know the first American slave owner was a black who owned a black? Did you know that the majority of slaves of the era didn't come to America; they went to Brazil? Did you know that Native Americans had slaves long before the Pilgrims arrived and didn't set them free until long after the Civil War was over? Slavery still exists in the world and is not outlawed everywhere.

By living in the United States of America, you live in the privileged top 18% of the world, as in richest people in the world. 82% of the world's population lives with less privilege than you and everyone else in the United States.

What is your definition of privileged? What is your definition of marginalized? Who decides? If you own a smart phone, you are more privileged than I am, so do you need to start listening and start dismantling everything that's causing me to be marginalized? Because I don't have all the luxuries others have, would you label me marginalized? Why? Who are you to label me? Just because you're miserable with how you see life doesn't mean you have the right to subject me to your point of view. However, I do believe in free speech, so you have the right to say it, as long as you don't try to force me to think like you. That would be fascism.

I'm weary of good people being blamed for the bad behavior of a few. Bad behavior, racism, misogyny, or anything else that's mean and hateful is not limited to the privileged or marginalized, be they white or black, straight or gay, male or female, rich or poor, or whatever, etc.

"Be the change you want to see."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exactly