Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tolkien Reading Day and Reading List #4

March 25 is officially Tolkien Reading Day in celebration of the destruction of the Ring of Doom. Every year, Tolkien Forever, the Los Angeles chapter of the Tolkien Society, arranges a program for a local public library. I've been privileged to participate for the last four years. I fly over for the weekend and stay with a couple of very dear friends. We talk and talk and talk, and I usually come home a bit hoarse. It's a fabulous little vacation. And this year was no different though I wasn't feeling particularly well (nothing catching). Spending time with my friends is the best. The Reading Day program is remarkable. There are so many wonderfully talented people in the group. There are readings from various works by Tolkien, a number of songs, mostly originals, an Elvish dance, and we always close with Into the West. Though I live in a completely different state, they have welcomed me into the group. Whenever I fly in, I feel like I'm going home. I feel cared for and pampered. One of my friends here said that the reason she loved picking me up from the airport after one of my trips is because I was so happy, and she loved to listen to me babble about my trip. I look forward to this weekend and plan for it for months. God has blessed me with some fantastic traveling companions through this life, and I am truly grateful.

Do You Hear What I Hear? by Teri Wilson was heartwarming and left me feeling truly uplifted. LOVED IT!

Now, I've started Teri Wilson's Love, Lilies and the Unbroken Straw, the second book in the Hoofbeat and Heartstrings series. Sadly, there are only two books so far; I hope she writes more!!

Still reading Refuse to Choose, very slowly. I'm still in the prologue. Barbara Sher is talking about the aptitude tests and how we scored well in several areas and were told to choose a talent and pursue it. Yes, indeed, I remember my aptitude test. I was told that I should major in electrical engineering. Mind you, this was taken the same year I was about to flunk out of calculus. What's wrong with this picture? I told the man that all I knew about electricity was that to turn on a light you flipped the switch. If it didn't work, you changed the lightbulb, and if it still didn't work, you call an electrician. I have to admit, I have since learned about circuit breakers, but I prefer to let someone else deal with them. I'm thinking I may need to read some of Barbara Sher's other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank Goodness It's Sunday

~ A brief reprieve from coming summer weather ~ Ladybug hanging around my home ~ Favorite authors and books ~ Time with friends ~ God's ...