Saturday, January 21, 2017

My Heroes... Mary Izard Middleton

Mary was said to be quite beautiful. She bore nine children, three boys and six girls. One of the boys died in infancy and one of the girls died unmarried. The others all married. Like so many, their home was ransacked. Paintings and frames slashed or broken. The main structure remained but little else. Arthur Middleton was the brother of Mrs. Edward Rutledge, yes, also a Declaration signer. She was, in no way, a shrinking violet. When she sent word to her husband out walking that the house was burning, he said, "Let it burn." She refused and arranged to have the fire put out. She may have been renowned for her beauty, but she was also definitely a strong woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...