Saturday, December 10, 2016

My Heroes... Elizabeth Mathews Heyward and Elizabeth Savage

Elizabeth Matthews Heyward married Col. Thomas Heyward. Fascinating. They don't know if it was in 1767 or '68. Her husband was elected to the Continental Congress in 1775. She had five children, all of whom but one died in infancy. Her husband was shot in the leg and taken prisoner by the British and held for a year. The family estate was blundered. EMH never recovered from the trauma and died in 1781. Elizabeth Savage Heyward had three children, all of whom survived and married.

I tell myself it sounds horrific and primitive, and yet, is it really? Death and disease, bankruptcy and hard times, war and trials have not vanished from the face of the earth. Difficulties continue. A few details change, but the outcome is the same. Life isn't easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...