Saturday, March 18, 2017

My Heroes... St. Patrick

I grew up with the usual traditions regarding St. Patrick's Day, the wearing of green to avoid being pinched. As an adult, friends celebrated the drinking side of the holiday. Nope, not a drinker.

When I wrote "Tough Luck" I did my homework on the holiday first. I discovered St. Patrick wasn't about green or drinking. He was a remarkable man.

St. Patrick was a British teen who was captured and forced into slavery in Ireland, around 400 A.D. He escaped back to Britain and became a priest. He returned to Ireland to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He epitomized loving his enemy and doing good to those who spitefully use you.

As a side note, it's believed the snakes he drove out of Ireland weren't the reptile kind but the kind who lead people astray with their seductive lies.

I find it sad that the legacy of such a courageous man has been lost in green and alcohol. Then again, that's how the adversary works: Trivialize the truth and focus on lies that appeal to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REAL Mar 11-16

REAL -  R educe stress  E xercise  A dequate sleep  L ower caloric intake This week's bit of extra was a bit of spring cleaning, dusting...