Saturday, May 26, 2018

Solemn Weekend

I'm preparing for the coming holiday. The military was not honored in my family. Then again, my family is kind of under-acquainted with honor.

Two perspectives, closely related:

Keep in mind, saying Happy Memorial Day is pretty inappropriate. Who says "Happy Funeral Day"?

There are those who struggle with the whole concept of Memorial Day being sidelined by sales and the beginning of summer celebration. I don't blame them.

There are others who also are pained by the lack of reverence, however they also understand the importance of celebrating. The picnics and laughter are a sign that those who gave all did not die in vain.

My church has a pancake breakfast and a guest speaker, a veteran. I look forward to the event every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exactly