Friday, August 16, 2019

Brain Dump

A list of 15 points was posted on a friend's social media. I politely chose not to respond. They're allowed to believe what they want. I'm not the thought police. I needed to explore each topic, to explain to myself what I believe and why:

Someone saved me the trouble of having to explain what I believe. I'm a liberal, but that doesn't mean what a lot of you apparently think it does. Let's break it down, shall we? Because quite frankly, I'm getting a little tired of being told what I believe and what I stand for. Spoiler alert: Not every liberal is the same, though the majority of liberals I know think along roughly these same lines:

Starting here: Please, study political history. You do not get to decide what liberal means. Do the homework and find out for yourself.

Classic liberals more closely resemble conservatives: Less government.

Post modern liberals more closely resemble progressives: More government.

They aren't the same thing, not even close.

I'm leery to choose a label because too often most people think everyone shares the same definition, which couldn't be further from the truth. Numerous helpful conversations have started with: "Let's make sure we're all on the same page." I've noticed that talking heads manipulate language to their own ends. I've listened to them change definitions on the fly. It's disturbing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...