Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Cutting Soy

My sister discovered she's highly allergic to soy. Whenever she eats it her throat swells closed. I figured it wouldn't hurt for me to cut soy, too, to see what happens. I'm doing better. I have less choking when I eat. It isn't easy to cut soy. It's in EVERYTHING. I'm pretty sure I've touched on this subject before, so this is sort of a follow up. I'm enjoying food more, savoring the flavors. I've discovered I can do without a lot of things I thought I couldn't. There are a lot of foods that no longer tempt me because the soy contained within isn't worth the trouble. My sister pointed out that Betty Crocker has removed soy from most of their products, and did so a while ago. More and more companies are discovering that soy is a problem for a lot of people. It's a cheap filler. Many doctors prescribe it as an estrogen replacement. Those same doctors advise their breast cancer patients to NOT eat soy. I'm working to learn to be more aware of when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I'm still struggling with finishing off things so I don't waste. It's tough throwing away what would be considered perfectly good food. It's weird how I had less trouble cutting eggs from my diet than cutting soy. Maybe it's simply habit. I do cheat with eggs, using them sparingly, mixed with other ingredients. I'm doing the same with soy. I'm endeavoring to cut more items that contain soy, so I'm cheating less. Sounds kind of silly put like that. I'm not perfect. I'm acknowledging I'm not perfect, and I'm endeavoring to make my life easier and healthier without beating myself up.
Yep, it has soy. Funnily enough, Kraft mac and cheese doesn't have soy. Kirkland's canned chicken doesn't have soy, but tuna packed in water does have soy. I've never read so many labels in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...