Friday, May 26, 2023

Brain Dump

Summer is coming. I live in the desert. Anything to help me reduce my bill, within reason, is worth considering.

Car cover. I knew it kept the car cooler, but I discovered something else. I was out one evening with an appointment the next morning, so I didn't cover my car overnight. When the sun comes up, there's a short space of time when it shines between the neighbors' house and my carport roof. The sun shining on the car's windshield, for even that short time, heated the space. I compared it to the next day with the car cover. What a difference! Mine is a gray, water resistant cover. Though it's a shiny gray, it's nothing like the glass. 

Hint from my power company: Only turn on fans if you're in the room. The difference is the feel on your skin. It makes no difference to the furniture. 

Black out curtains. Dark colors are more effective than light colors. Drawback: can't see outside and doesn't let light in either. Choosing between light and cooler temps in the house. I use battery operated candles if I want light, along with nightlights, and I have a skylight in my kitchen that provides enough light during the day.

About the skylight, my windows have black shades on the outside. A box black shade was made for the skylight. Yes, I questioned the black color, but the sand colored shades don't offer as much privacy from people looking in. 

Film covering for your windows. I used a lily stained-glass film that is affixed to the glass with water. Can't see out of it either. However, I used it on windows I don't look out anyway, like the master bath, the window above the door, and the glass on my "screen" doors to the house. 

Double pane windows also make a difference. 

Summer is coming. Good luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

TBR 2024

51 . Operation Hero's Watch (Cutter's Code series book 10)  by  Justine Davis suspense romance. Yes, I've read it before. The au...