Saturday, May 2, 2015

My Heroes... Mary Bartlett

She married Dr. Josiah Bartlett when she was twenty-four. They had twelve children, only eight of which survived to adulthood. When their home was burned to the ground, she removed the children to a farm, where she raised them while Dr. Bartlett served their country. Of what little correspondence was found between the couple, she was supportive, a true helpmeet. The house was rebuilt, and she died there in 1789.

I can't imagine how brutally difficult it must have been for her to care for the children and the farm alone, while offering love and sympathy for her husband's efforts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...