Friday, December 11, 2015

Brain Dump

I'm tired of being beaten over the head with scriptures to justify a point of view. Sometimes, I roll my eyes. Other times, I shrug it off. Occasionally, frustration wins. I'm finding it effective to release the frustration here. I'm able to let go and carry on.

It is possible to justify anything by the scriptures, though often they must be taken out of context.

I've seen the scripture memes "Love your enemy" and "love those who despitefully use you." Important scriptures to know. Sometimes it's best to love someone from a distance.

Other important scriptures:

"A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, and went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, whenI come again, I will repay thee."

The injured man is a stranger of unknown nationality; he could be a Jew, a Samaritan, a visitor from the East, or a Roman. We don't know; the Bible doesn't say. The Samaritan didn't take the man home; he took him to an inn. He didn't take care of him indefinitely; he departed the next day. He paid the host to take care of the man and promised to repay him any extra used the next time he passed through. He did not return to check on the man. He returned because it was a regular journey.

"...when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? ...in as much as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me."

Never is it suggested that these things be turned over to the government. Jesus didn't even suggest forming a group to do the charity for everyone else. He preached "Love your neighbor as your self." He never preached have someone else love your neighbor for you. Jesus was personal, one-on-one, face-to-face.

"If any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also."

The story never advises giving ALL your clothes. It's rare for anyone to give more than the law requires. How often does anyone pay twice what they owe in taxes, let alone everything?

"Whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain."

Nowhere in there does it say carry the other person or go the whole way. Simply do more than expected.

"Give to him that asketh thee and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."

Not turning away is different from giving what is requested. A person must consider the request and consider what is feasible. The giver decides. If a person gives everything to the beggar while their own family goes hungry then the person is not a good steward. Nowhere in there does it say give everything requested. Besides, what if there is something better than what's requested? Sometimes, giving requires listening carefully to determine the true need. Let's face it, how often do we ask for one thing, believing it's all we deserve or at least we might get it, even as we know we need something else, but we're afraid of asking too much?

For the record: The adversary will happily impoverish you to the point where you aren't able to give to those who need what you might have offered.

I've fallen into the trap, from time to time. I'm learning.

"Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you..."

He tells you what to do: Love your enemies. And then tells you how to do exactly that: Bless them, do good to them, pray for them. Doing good is part of loving your neighbor as yourself.

Yes, I would hope if I were homeless I would be taken in. However, I would not expect a stranger to do so. I have been hosted by numerous people over the years. I did not expect them to take care of my every need. When it applied, I endeavored to learn their language as quickly as possible. I helped out as much as I could. When I was able to contribute I did so. I did my best to be a pleasant and easy guest. I expressed my gratitude and never complained. I acknowledged I was a guest, and my hosts were doing more for me than I had a right to expect.

I find it fascinating how people throw out scriptures, often taken out of context, to make a point, but I haven't seen anyone throwing out "Thou shalt not kill, slaughter, murder." "Thou shalt not bear false witness, lie." "Thou shalt not commit adultery, i.e., sex is for the bonds of marriage." "Thou shalt not have any other gods before me, not money, not power, not sports, not to worship anyone but God." "Thou shalt not covet, want what someone else has." "Thou shalt keep the Sabbath day holy." There are more. Okay, I've seen them thrown out, but the person is then accused of being a zealot or unreasonable or old fashioned.

The God of the Bible, the Judeo-Christian God, is not milquetoast. He is fierce and demanding, but He is also loving and patient to depths we are incapable of understanding. He saw to it the entire human race was wiped off the face of the earth but for one little family, and the animals they rescued, via flooding. He promised to never flood the earth again; the rainbow is a symbol of that promise. He saved the Israelites and drowned the Egyptians. Civilizations rise and fall.

The government is not charitable. It is impossible for government to be charitable. The government makes/produces nothing. The government only takes.

God demands: "Choose you this day whom you will serve."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Exactly