Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fun and reading list lucky #13

Nieces, with their families, popped in for a few days. What fun it's been chatting with them! Wish they lived here, because there simply wasn't enough time. And wouldn't you know, my work schedule ended up heavier than usual.

Read In a Mother's Arms, a special two-shortish historical romance stories in one book. Jillian Hart wrote "Finally a Family," and Victoria Bylin wrote "Home Again." Bylin is on my must-buy list. She always has several insights that require I do a bit of rethinking and re-evaluating.

I also started How Full is Your Bucket? by Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton, Ph.D. It's a relatively thin book. I thought, "Easy-smeasy. I'll read it in a snap." Then I read the first chapter and felt sucker punched. How often had I heard "You must repent not only of the sins of commission but those of omission." I always felt like I was trapped coming and going and could do nothing right. I bridled against the negativity, feeling swamped by the feeling that I would never be good enough. I recognized the whole of my life, and began to realize what an optimistic person I actually am. Diane Gaston blogged about optimism and hope, today. I'm always delighted my God's blendings. Diane is one of my very favorite writers. When she asked if we believed in the power of optimism and hope, and if we had an experiences, I wasn't sure how to respond. My first thought was very serious, and then a memory popped in: My younger brother nicknamed me Odie. Then the comic strip published Garfield’s rant to Odie: “Who could possibly love a grinning idiot like you?” Then it starts to rain, everywhere but on Odie. Garfield looks up and yells, “You stay out of this!” I’ve had plenty of rain in my life, but I know God is always there, and there isn’t anything more joyous than sharing God’s blessings.

Once I'd caught my breath, so to speak, I was able to continue reading. The focus so far has been on companies. My first thought was "how does this apply to me?" Instantly, I remembered my counselor. He talked to me about the mean boss I work for, the boss that criticizes and belittles. Me. My ah-ha moment: I will learn how to be a better boss to me. And so the adventure continues...

6 comments:

  1. I felt like an a-hole for recommending the book about halfway through your post but like how it ended so I feel okay. Can't wait to talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not your responsibility. I'm a big girl. Remember, someone related to both of us also said it was a good read. When I told her about my reaction she was, at first, blank. Because her reaction, to the same chapter, had been "So? What's new?" For me, it wasn't new, it was simply a different way of looking at it that caught me so totally by surprise. Whenever that happens, I figure God has decided I'm ready, and I've developed an unexpected eagerness to rise to the challenge. I truly appreciate you letting me borrow the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah! There were two of us! I'm glad you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah! There were two of us! I'm glad you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More than I ever imagined, but I'll be posting about that later. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor smiley face. Here: :-) (everything back together)

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...