Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Reflecting...

More particularly, reflecting on yesterday's post. Recently, I wrote a note to myself that I placed next to the computer. "I want more choices, more freedom, and bigger paychecks." And I realized that I limited myself to one coping choice: eating. Being the problem solver that I am, I realized I needed what? More CHOICES! So, what are my choices? Eating is still an option. Sorry, but quitting eating cold turkey simply isn't a viable possibility. However, if I have healthier choices available, I'm more likely to pick them, or at least a better chance than if I don't have them. I also know that if I don't have some unhealthy choices available, I will binge. But ice cream occasionally, cake occasionally, cookies occasionally is fun. I will not buy into the idea that my eating must be perfect or I'm bad. Life is too short. So, eating is still on the table. Thank goodness. What else? Television is still an option. I have gone cold turkey and not really missed it. That being said, there are times when I want to escape, but my thoughts are too scattered to read. This is what DVDs are for, at least for me. So I haven't taken the choice away, I've given it different parameters. What else? Music. I love music. I don't always remember that it's an option. That will take practice. What else? Reading, of course. What else? A walk outside, even if it's only around the yard. That was easier when the dog needed to go outside to remind me. Again, remembering will take practice, but I wanted choices, and this is one. What else? Internet surfing. I don't visit a lot of sites, but this is an option, and I wanted more choices. What else? Writing. What else? Drawing. I'm horrible at drawing, but it's still an option. What else? Doing my nails. What else? Sorting through piles. I do require that I not simply re-arrange my piles of papers. I have to file or trash at least one thing, and usually take care of several things. Can't stop at just one. What else? Read a cookbook. Yes, I'm actually one of those that enjoys doing that, deciding what recipe to try next. What else? Cook! I love to cook. Yes, it's eating related, but it requires work on my part, and I actually eat less if I made it, even when I really like it. What else? Wow, lots of choices! Does this mean I'll never make the same mistake? Nope. But I'm learning. I'm giving myself a gift, the right to make different choices... more choices, more freedom, and a bigger paycheck because I won't have to buy as much food! Then again, I've frequently "bribed" myself out of buying cookies with the promise I could spend the same amount on books. It has worked numerous times. And will work again, I know. But this is about more choices, and recognizing that there are plenty of choices out there: I simply need to open my eyes to the possibilities. More practice. Practice isn't about perfect, it's about being more aware of what one is doing and why and doing it deliberately. I'm making deliberate changes because I choose to change, to become someone new because God has promised that it is possible. I believe Him.

2 comments:

  1. This is good. I like this a lot. Thanks for putting it out there to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. :-) I find it helpful to re-read, often, making it more a part of me.

    ReplyDelete

Exactly