Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fun grocery shopping...

The sweet young lady running the register when I checked out wondered what in the world I would do with so much zucchini. I'd purchased ten of the things. They were on sale! If they're not on sale next week, I'll save money when I don't buy as many. I told her that I eat one every day. Really? Really. Slice it, saute it in a pan with a little olive oil and a bit of butter. Thanks to Julia Child and Jacques Pepin, I know how to flip the little guys in the pan without the pieces going all over. Slide the zucchini onto a dish and lightly sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese. Oh, my. Really yummy!

Discovered that sometimes, when the sale is right, the name brand is cheaper or the same price as the generic. Restocked my baking soda, which means I also restocked my baking powder, since I make my own. Easy to keep it fresh. I think I have a year's supply of Idahoan Instant Potatoes and Krusteaz Pancake Mix. I added more unbleached white flour. And joy of joy, Schwan's came, today. I buy most of my meat through Schwan's. I've tried different brands, and have found I prefer Schwan's. Had coupon for pie; didn't use it by substituting Rice Krispy Treats. We'll see how I do with that trade. I haven't opened them yet, but then again, my sister blessed me with some of her bread, so after dinner, I enjoyed a couple of slices with my homemade blueberry jam. I know. I know; I suffer. How I suffer. God is good. :-)

4 comments:

  1. LOL, that's my kind of suffering!! :)

    And sauteed zuchinni really are a treat. I am sort of addicted to yellow (summer squash) myself. I could eat it daily, forever.
    :)
    Sorry I haven't been around much. Energy levels aren't great; I expend so much at work, then nothing much left over.

    Went to TS 3 last night, it was adorable. I LOVE all the characters so much. Made us laugh. But I won't do 3-D again. It's way too expensive. It's not worth the exorbitant cost. We'll just wait for DVD, next time. I admit I won't be able to 'wait' for Harry Potter films, but I'll only go ONCE to the theatre, instead of 2-3x.

    Must go or will be late for work.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want bread! Oh and I buy large quantities of stuff all the time. Could be worse...you could have been buying large quantities of rice crispy treats. I say well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been getting zucchini from coworkers who have a garden and can't keep up with what it is producing, so they share it out. They are amazingly huge things! Another coworker and I who both have lots of ideas for using zucchini cut the big guys in half and it is still enough to work with. The little ones are nicer for cooking like you do, though.

    Today, I'm in Wisconsin where we have our own garden growing -- I'll have to go out and see if I can harvest some cilantro before the tomatoes take over. Looks like no beets again this year, but we have some peppers and red cabbage coming along.

    Schwann's is great stuff. My mom always ordered from them, they had just what she needed for her diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, thought you'd appreciate that. And I'm so glad you were able to see TS3. And interesting to learn you didn't find the 3-D worth it. I've wondered. I'll save my money.

    Kathy, Check your message and emails. And you're right, it wasn't large quantities of RCT. I still haven't even opened the box.

    Margaret, I think part of the problem with zucchini is that people let them grow so big. They're yummiest when they're still small, and easier to get through. Not complaining though, since my brother and his wife shared ONE of their zucchini with me, and it lasted FOUR meals! I'd forgotten you had a garden in WI. Yesterday, I finished harvesting the last of the latest crop of lavender flowers. I love having something in common with your mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Exactly