Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Heroes... Stephanie Meyer...

I've debated about whether or not to choose Stephanie. I know a lot of people who dislike Twilight and a lot of people who love Twilight. Not that I worry overmuch about what other people think. I'm reading SEAL of Honor right now, little by little, and Lt. Michael P. Murphy is simply so amazing, but I chose him as a hero early.

Anyway. Why I decided to choose Stephanie: She took a genre, paranormal, and made it her own. She changed the rules of how the vampire world worked, forever opening the door to the imagination of writers everywhere. They no longer had to stick to a rigid set of rules, but could explore a little beyond the edges.

I'll be honest. I didn't like the first book. I don't care for first person in fiction, usually. Stephanie is one of my exceptions to my rule. I read the books so I could have an intelligent conversation with a couple of my nieces. I hated feeling so stupid about something so popular. So, they dragged me into the saga, and then I found myself happily joining in. Team Jacob!! My favorite of the four books is book four. I was awed by Stephanie's storytelling ability, the way she took a tried and true genre (so to speak) and gave it twists and turns all her own, forever leaving her stamp on it.

Then I read The Host. Wow... If ever there were a book I wish I could have written, this was it, except I know I never could have even hatched the idea in the first place, let alone carried it through to the end. I'm so glad she wrote it. I can't imagine how they're going to make it work in a movie format. It's such an in your head story.

I don't think I have the next Twilight or The Host in me, but I hope my stories are even marginally as successful or at least touch people like Stephanie's stories have done. I think what speaks to me is her decision to make her own way. To pursue her dream, her vision, her stories, her way. I want to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Easter is coming.

Celebrate with a story. The Blessing Basket The thirteenth novella in the series. Welcome back to Holiday, USA, small town America, where no...