Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Heroes... Lewis Morris...

What an interesting contrast. Lewis Morris should have sided with England. He was a rich landowner, well respected, a first son and heir. It seems he was also blessed with a compassionate heart. He sympathized with his fellow countrymen not as well situated. He also knew that by throwing his lot in with the patriots, his estate would be ruined, his forest destroyed, and his cattle carried off. It was. Even so, three of his sons also served honorably in the American army. When he chose to retire, he returned to his estate and began rebuilding.

He is nothing like the whiner portrayed in 1776. In the movie, he is effacing and apologetic and doesn't make up his mind to sign the Declaration of Independence until the last. In truth, he was a stolid supporter from the first. He did not hesitate or cower or demur.

There is much in my life I allow to slide without comment.

There is also much in my life I am learning to speak up and stand boldly. When I do so, I'm often labeled "rabid." I would rather be "rabid" and stand for right, then accepted for being milquetoast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...