Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why I hate books with abrupt endings...

I am a romance novel devourer. I admit it. I confess. Whatever. I love a happily-ever-after. Never had one myself, but I believe in them. I also believe the work is never done and part of the romance. So, imagine my irritation with books that tie up everything, neat and tidy, in two pages or less. After a great deal of consideration into exactly why this type of ending annoys me so much, I think I've finally found a way to explain it. I love NASCAR. Fast cars. The best drivers on the planet. Go Carl!! Ehem. Anyway. Imagine, it's a race of 395 laps around a 1-mile track, speeds of around 180 mph. You are cheering your driver and his team for hours! He's winning, with five laps to go. Then, your driver crashes. The race is over for your driver. He may be able to cross the finish line for points, but that's it. No chance to enjoy a win and no victory lap. Nothing. Does it mean the previous 390 laps weren't exciting? Incredible? Heart-pounding excitement? Of course not. But it is quickly forgotten and only revisited if the crash was spectacular, and even that fades with the next spectacular crash. So, give me an ending that lasts long enough to enjoy and savor, including a victory lap. All my favorite writers give me that kind of ending. God love 'em and bless 'em with more tales.

2 comments:

  1. *giggles* Then you must love series.

    Truly, I know exactly what you mean. And I hate those that seem to tie up all the loose ends loosely - you know what I mean. It seems as though they got tired of writing or couldn't think of anything else to say or do... and so they stopped. Galling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It is very much that feeling of slamming into the wall type of stop. I love books that are tied together. I want each book to have a definite end, but I love it when characters appear in the next book and the next, like a visit from old friends, stopping in to let you how they are doing.

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...