Friday, August 3, 2012

Food Traditions...

Some ideas that have been rolling around in my head:

When food is pointed as the problem there is an instant sense of deprivation. You don't have to go very far to find out why, only as far as the food traditions.

January: New Year. There are a lot of food traditions around the New Year, in a lot of cultures. Entire menus are planned around certain food bringing luck and others not. Super Bowl: Feasts are planned for the day of watching football, commercials, and rivalry.

February: Valentine's Day. Chocolate and taking your sweetheart out to eat.

March: St. Patrick's Day. When this became a drinking holiday, I don't know. For those who don't drink or with children, it's traditional to turn everything green. Green salad and green beans isn't special. Green cake is a celebration waiting. I have an awesome recipe for Pistachio Bread that's actually cake.

April: Easter, a tradition rich in special foods like eggs and chocolate. There's even the traditional Blessing Basket, which I learned about this past year and have added to my traditional celebration. Meanings abound in the choices of particular foods.

May: Memorial Day, though a somber occasion is often celebrated with a cookout because it's the traditional beginning of summer.

June: Summer is officially in full swing, along with cookouts, grilling season, and kids out of school. Still new enough to summer to enjoy it. Picnics. Weddings, June is still the traditional wedding month: Wedding cake, mints, mixed nuts, punch, brunches, luncheons, dinners.

July: Independence Day, more picnics and more cookouts. Hotdogs and hamburgers, potato chips, potato salad, corn on the cob, apple pie.

August: Kids going back to school, and end of summer parties. Vacations, eating the foods of wherever you visit.

September: Labor Day, another three day vacation and the last weekend for a picnic and cookout before school is back in full swing. By the way, all through summer there's been a bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables available, especially if you're anywhere near a farmer's market.

October: Halloween, candy. Need I say more? Oh, popcorn balls, candied apples, parties.

November: Thanksgiving, a tradition of thanking God for blessings and lots and lots of food.

December: Christmas, parties all month long, dinner, stockings, cookie exchanges.

A month of special traditions, preset on the calendar. Then there are the birthdays, blowing out candles, even one, on a birthday cake or cupcake. Anniversaries, going out to dinner. Graduation parties. Opportunities to gather with friends and chat over food as a celebration. Family reunions, winning a game, a promotion, a book release, an anticipated movie, in other words an opportunity to make an event extra special.

You've read through the list. Now, tell someone they are not allowed to participate.

Changing the way you eat means changing the way you participate in events all year long, if you adhere to the myth that the problem is the food.

By making food the problem, food has all the power.

I couldn't resist the cake because the cake was so delicious.

Wait...what?

No, I chose not to exercise self-control.

And no, I'm not saying that a little will power will solve the problem.

For the record, did you know you crave food to which you are allergic? Which starts a nasty little cycle of eating more and more.

It still isn't the fault of the food.

I'm allergic to eggs. When I choose to eat eggs, the eggs did not hold a gun to my head and force me to eat them. I chose to eat them. I chose the eggs over feeling healthy.

I'm not changing the traditions in my life, I'm changing my perspective of myself, a little at a time. Why am I such a glutton on many of the holidays? I think it's because I dread them, afraid of how well I will or will not do, and so I don't plan for them, except in the periphery of my mind, hoping I don't screw up too badly. How sad is that.

To be honest, holidays have not been joyous occasions overall, in my life. Maybe if I plan more reasons to celebrate, I won't feel so deprived and feel the need to take advantage of the opportunities when they arrive. First test is coming up this month. Hadn't considered this before. Hmmm...interesting possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. hmmmm..... maybe 1 really good and good for you treat you can have either before or in your room knowing it is there waiting for you when you survive triumphant from the celebration with everyone else if you don't want to bring it with and have it commented on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have found this helpful. I've also found that when I don't feel deprived overall, I don't eat like I'm deprived. The eating it usually a signal something else is going on. I'm hoping if I change my eating habits, I'll learn to better address the "something else going on."

      Delete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...