Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I decided to cut soy from my diet...

Did you know it's almost impossible? It's everywhere.

Yesterday, I finally dug up the courage to check my chocolate.

Shoot.

Soy Lecithin.

I made the mistake of reading up on soy lecithin. Yuck!

Lecithin is good for you and found in egg yolks. Interesting. I like egg yolks but not whites. Call me racist if you want. :-D

So, thank you to the internet to see if there was any chocolate soy free:

http://ultimatechocolateblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/chocolate-bars-with-no-soy-lecithin-are.html

Maybe I'll make chocolate my soy cheat food.

Maybe I'll find a small company I like. I wonder if there's someone local...

The hunt is on.

4 comments:

  1. Any particular reason why you are cutting out soy, or is it just part of the plan to be healthier? I have actually heard from a friend or two that it's easy to get too much soy -- which can be bad, of course -- because it's in so many things, plus people add extra to their diet thinking it's going to be healthy for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two siblings who have tested positive for an allergy to soy. I've never liked it.

      Okay, I turned against soy when I learned it was a filler for dog food that added no nutritional value because dogs can't digest it. Like feeding your dog packing peanuts. If I can't feed it to my dog, why would I eat it? I mean, think of what dogs eat... sorry. :-)

      Soy lecithin was created when the soybean companies processed soy and had this left over sludge they couldn't use. There was so much waste they decided to find a way to use it. It works as an emulsifier. Yeah. That's appetizing.

      I know, more than you wanted to know. It was more than I wanted to know. Sharing the wealth. ;-D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Judy, I knew that most soy products (unless fermented) aren't that great for us and I have been trying to avoid food that had soy lecithin in its label; though I have not had a chance to do much research on it. Thanks for explaining it so clearly. It goes in the "don't eat anything your grandmother would not recognise as food" category ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frustrating part is that lecithin is a necessary part of your diet. The soy isn't. Bah. I'm turning more and more to food I have to be able to identify. :-)

      Delete

TBR 2024

41 .  Not Dead Yet ( Guardian series Book 6 )  by  Traci Hunter Abramson suspense romance.  42.   Secrets of St. Augustine (Sinister Secrets...