Friday, March 1, 2013

Exploring the diet...

As I went grocery shopping, yesterday, I started looking at ingredients. I do, sometimes. Sometimes, I really don't want to know.

I create a lot of food from scratch or very basic things. A box of mac and cheese usually becomes three individual-sized tuna casseroles.

Peanut butter. I love peanut butter and grape jam or honey sandwiches. Did you know that almost all peanut butters have soybean oil? I didn't. I do now. Wish I didn't. Maybe it's best this way.

I don't like soy. Not even a little bit. Never have. You can imagine how careful I had to be living in Thailand. Actually, it was only a problem when we went out to eat and tofu was served. I almost lost my lunch. So not okay.

My sister has more trouble than I do, and I have family members who are allergic to soy. I've done enough reading to put me off soy forever. I make one exception: Soy sauce. However, I don't use it even once a month.

The cake mix had soybean oil. The coconut/pecan frosting had soybean oil. Yes, the Oreos had soybean oil. The peanut butter had soybean oil.

The natural peanut butters did not. They had palm oil.

The oils I cook with: Butter, coconut oil, and olive oil.

That's it.

Yes, I've made cake with olive oil. It added an unexpected layer of richness.

Since I've discovered coconut oil, it's my first choice in cooking.

Nothing can replace butter when I want bread and butter. I don't have it often.

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about this silly bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exactly