Saturday, March 16, 2013

My Heroes... Francis Hopkinson...

I'm finding a common thread with many of the Founding Fathers. Their own fathers died when they these men were quite young. Francis Hopkinson lost his father at the age of 14, at which time he took on the responsibility of caring for his mother and siblings. So many of these men were required to become heads of their families at tender ages.

He went to England, as many of the Founding Fathers did, to learn. He was widely liked and encouraged to accept his place in society. He was honored until his enthusiasm for a Republic became known. The British were not impressed. His countrymen loved him.

Interestingly enough, Hopkinson "was a poet and wit." He was not given to debate. I suspect he used his humor to drive his points home. Difficult to argue with someone who is able to laugh at himself.

I'm endeavoring to embrace humor more fully in my own life.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Judy~ I remember reading that Benjamin Franklin also went to England, but I don't think for formal education. I think early responsibility takes a lot of the immaturity out of young men...and esp if they have to care for their mothers and siblings. We can sure learn from others lives~ A poetic usually has a very sensitive heart/spirit too~ ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

Exactly