Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Heroes... Richard Stockton...

He was born into wealth and position. Graduating in law, he was respected by everyone. He visited England to learn ways to improve law in America. He was well received there. When he returned home he continued in popularity and success.

He was the perfect example of a man who would surely wish to maintain the status quo. He was well off and earning a better than decent living. He was well liked by both Americans and English. He was content.

His principles dictated he support the bid for Independence.

He gave it his all in the end.

The English destroyed his property and took him prisoner where he was so severely mistreated he caught pneumonia and never recovered. He died at 51 years of age.

He held freedom and liberty to be of higher value than wealth and comfort, and paid dearly for his beliefs.

How dearly to I hold freedom and liberty? What price am I willing to pay?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...