Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011... 10 years later...

Never forgotten.

Almost 3,000 souls were lost : World Trade Center, First Responders, Four Commercial Flights, the Pentagon, and a field in Pennsylvania.

I woke up early that day, as I always did, so I could go out and take care of my horse before picking up my work. It had already started, and I didn't know. I groomed and grained my horse, like I did every single morning, for the previous four years. I was usually out there alone. Most of the other boarders came out in the evenings or on weekends. I enjoyed having the place to myself. It was my time to talk to God. How could I not be grateful when I was enjoying my horse's company and the quiet of the early morning?

One of the other boarders came out to work one of the horses early, and asked if I'd heard about the plane flying into the World Trade Center. I thought she was joking, in very poor taste. I didn't believe her. It was absurd. Ridiculous. Impossible. Then the owner of the property came out, and told us that the Pentagon had also been hit. I looked between them, and said, "You mean it's real?"

My regular, easy-going conversation with God changed to a pleading prayer, in my heart, and didn't stop.

After I finished taking care of my horse, I slid into my car, rolled down the window, and turned on the radio. They repeated over and over that planes had been flown into the WTC. As I drove to pick up my work, other cars passing me, both ways, had their windows rolled down, too, when usually they'd be rolled up because of using A/C. Their radios were on, too. My radio was in stereo, from the outside. We were all listening to exactly the same thing. Total strangers, all listening to the same thing.

I picked up my work, at two different places. Over and over, the radio talked about the planes, but they would not release the names of which airlines. By the time I was driving home, I was screaming at the radio for the names of the airlines.

One of my friends is a pilot. The last time we'd talked was the month before, and he'd told me his route was in the northeast. I was desperate to know which airline, and felt guilty for hoping my friend was safe.

As soon as I arrived home, I turned on the television. Still no specifics of any kind. I called my friend, expecting to reach his cell phone. He answered. I felt guilty for feeling relieved and grateful he was okay. His route had changed. (It was a while before the airlines involved were revealed.) He was safe. He had been grounded, but he couldn't complain about the lovely city he was in. I'm still glad he was safe. A part of me still feels a little guilty.

I heard firsthand about the plane that crashed into the open field. While the media debated the possible cause, I didn't need confirmation; I knew the passengers had done something. I knew the passengers had made a choice, and wondered if I would have had the courage they did.

We learned months later that my cousin was supposed to be at a meeting in the WTC that day. He didn't make it because he was taking his parents to the airport. So many lives were spared that day because of being late, taking a child to school, or some other small, seemingly inconsequential event.

So many lives were lost. They were on time, doing their jobs, being where they were supposed to be. Then the responders were there, doing their jobs. Many of them had been going off duty, but recognized an emergency and the need for additional help. They were being who they are.

Fathers, mothers, grandmothers, grandfathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, wives, husbands, coworkers, friends.

I watched the news, every day, all day, for days. I wanted to donate blood, but discovered that the day before a new ruling had been passed, and I was no longer eligible, because I had lived in England for three months. It wasn't needed, anyway. I remember that first day thinking that the hospitals would be overwhelmed. Then they weren't. You either made it relatively unscathed, or you didn't. I didn't know any of those who died, but I had friends who mourned the loss of many friends.

Did it change me? Yes, it did.

Once the shock had worn off, I hadn't yet realized I'd changed. Then I saw Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings. 9/11 had stripped away the wall I'd built around my feelings. Suddenly, I felt everything. The flood of emotions was overwhelming, confusing, like going from a world of muted grays to one of vibrant flashing colors of every tint and hue.

I changed. I connected with people through the internet, where I found a whole host of friends who shared in my new discovery. And we've been sharing the journey ever since.

I hold this day as a day of remembrance. A day to mourn lives cruelly and needlessly lost, too many families with empty places at the table, the wonder of the courage of human beings, the miracles of those who lived, and the gratitude for the thousands of people who did good simply because it was the right thing to do.

I will never forget.

8 comments:

  1. That day is not forgotten in our household, either.

    We had returned to the States in July and were getting settled after putting our son in college. My hubby was watching the news that morning while I worked in our apartment -- he called my attention to the fact that there had some kind of plane accident involving one of the Twin Towers. I came and stood in the living room to watch the news with him to see what it was all about.

    As we watched, we saw the second plane come in and crash into the other tower. We knew immediately what was happening and who was likely responsible for it. It was a very surreal time for us, because even as we watched matters unfold in NYC and mourned what was happening, our minds were leaping forward to the future and how all this was going to certainly change our work in Pakistan. It was a weird feeling! We had a sense already of what the future would hold for that country, which in some ways made it doubly shocking for us.

    In the hours that followed, we were on the phone with other coworkers who also realized the implications. We knew we needed to get involved in keeping up with the news overseas so we went out and bought a laptop computer and got on the internet for the first time.

    As it turned out, our work in Pakistan was indeed directly affected by what happened 10 years ago, because it led to the war in Afghanistan, which led to the restriction of foreigners living in certain districts in Pakistan, which led to us being barred from where we had lived, which eventually led to us returning to the States.

    On the occasion of the 3rd anniversary of 9/11 -- one year after we had returned to the States for good -- I posted this in my blog:

    On the anniversary of 9/11, I am finding some hope and encouragement in the fact that people can pick up the pieces and continue on in the face of frightening tragedy.

    As a result of 9/11, American troops went to Afghanistan; as a result of their fight there, terrorists in Pakistan began attacking American interests within Pakistan and changed my life and my work forever. Some of these terrorists planned and carried out an attack on the children and staff at my son's boarding school, killing 6 Pakistani staff. The school was closed for two years.

    I am grateful to say that today, that school is once more open and running -- it has been for several weeks. In spite of the precarious state of things in Pakistan these days, they are determined to offer a quality education for those foreigners who remain in the country. The children are happy to be back and the parents are grateful for that.

    I know that many still struggle with what happened that day three years ago, and that they have not yet been able to pick up the pieces. It is hard to stand up again after we have been knocked down, to face the thing that hurt us -- the fear is still there that we could get knocked down again. I pray that all those who were affected in any way by the events of that day would be able to face their fear and their doubts and remain standing.

    (((Everyone)))


    I'm still praying that prayer!

    Thanks for sharing all this, Judy. As we have been friends for some time now, I knew a lot of what you shared here -- but I am awed by the relationship 9/11 has with your opening up to FotR. It does indeed seem that it was God's way of helping you deal with tragedy, by providing you with an avenue to reach out to others when you might not have otherwise done so.

    As a result, I'm glad we can honor this day together as friends! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Margaret))) I know my life would be much different, far poorer, without your friendship. You have lifted me and strengthened my faith over the years, and I will be forever grateful. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful, friend. So well written and so poignant...thank you for sharing. Much love ~ alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful. I will never forget either. Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of tragedy comes growth and change. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Exactly