Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Part of being REAL...

Reduce stress
Exercise
Adequate sleep
Lower caloric intake

http://itsallaboutmie.blogspot.com/2011/09/umhealth-experts.html

This tied in well with some of my other REAL blogs. As I work to change my thinking, I'm noticing some significant changes, in me. I've pretty much let go of the expert advice, because I know that my weight issues are mostly in my head. My body is merely the evidence. I would eat less, exercise more and gain weight. People would always say, "It's muscle!" Actually, it wasn't. My inches weren't changing either. I had to finally accept that because I was mentally in a place of deprivation my body held onto the weight. Mentally, I was in starvation mode, regardless of my eating habits, so my body went into save the fat mode. Now, I'm trying to teach myself that I don't need to do that anymore.

R ~ I've found that routine is vital to my program. I think I've finally created one that works for me. Funnily enough, my change in my job situation is what made it possible.

E ~ Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday I walk in the morning. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, I don't walk. I do 2-4 groups of my SEAL puppy reps (10 reps of girl's pushups, sit-ups, and flutter kicks) and physical therapy all six days.

A ~ Monday through Saturday, I'm up between 5-530 AM. Bedtime varies. I use sleep deprivation to stop nightmares. So, some nights I'm able to go to bed early, like 10 PM, but other nights it has to be 11 or 12 or 1 AM, so I don't wake up to nightmares. I'm trying to learn to intersperse them better, so I have more nights of closer to 8 hours of sleep, than those that are only 4 hours.

L ~ I don't eat snacks between meals. They are guaranteed sabotage for me. It doesn't matter what it is. They interrupt my other work routines, and leave me feeling like I've grazed all day. The feeling of having to constantly remind myself to eat is annoying. Monday through Saturday, I have breakfast between 6-8 AM. It's usually Carnation Instant Breakfast, sometimes with frozen blueberries and sometimes with frozen bananas and sometimes not. Lunch is usually between 11-12 noon, and dinner is between 5-7 PM. Sunday, I sleep in a bit, eat between 9-10 AM, and then I have dinner around 4 PM. I keep meals simple, usually from scratch, or pretty close to it: Grilled cheese sandwich, hamburger, spaghetti, chicken and rice or pasta or potatoes. Occasionally, I make an easy soup, Top Roman, with veggies and chicken added. I have a chocolate chip cookie after one meal and a biscotti and hot chocolate after the other, unless I had a PB&J. I also drink 48-64 oz of water, every day, without fail. I haven't had any soda pop in... a year? Two years? Maybe longer. Yes, it's been so long I don't remember, though I may have had a cup at some event or other when that was all that was available. I'll usually choose water or lemonade. I don't miss pop, though occasionally I want an old fashioned A&W. It isn't available, so it isn't a problem. I eat out less than once a month, ie, I eat out with a group of friends at the end of the month, but I don't always make it.

I am healthy. I don't need to hide.

NASCAR ~ Nationwide Race: Carl Edwards came in second. Race Buddy broadcasted the Sprint Cup race at NASCAR.com. THANK YOU!!! Delayed due to rain. Carl came in Fourth. Congrats to Tony Stewart on winning, and Dale Jr coming in third! Carl is currently third in the chase. Whoohoo!

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, dear friend! I love to see how the Holy Spirit is daily leading and guiding you, and teaching you things about your body, your mind, your soul and spirit!! Great job....keep moving forward....the seeds you are planting will continue to bloom!! much love ~ alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Alice! I couldn't do it without God's help.

    ReplyDelete

REAL Apr 8-13

REAL -  R educe stress  E xercise  A dequate sleep  L ower caloric intake 3 1-mile walks this week. Sleep has been abominable with the heat....