Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Birthday Celebrations...

It's a month for birthdays, and no today isn't mine. I saw this back on November 6: Happily Ever After blog had a post about birthdays. I needed the reminder.
1. Make it all about me.
2. Make it about being grateful.
3. Make it about a new start.
4. Enjoy the gifts.

Birthdays used to be a pit of despair, to borrow from The Princess Bride. Mine was forgotten more often than it was remembered. More times than not, when it was remembered, it was an afterthought. I thought the excuses were plausible until my current friends were brought into my life.

1. They made it all about me. In fact, they helped me celebrate all month long. Now, my birthday is a special day, because of them. No despair allowed.

2. I am so grateful for my life, and for where God is leading me. I'm grateful God blessed me with amazing friends who love and appreciate me and are glad I was born.

3. Instead of making New Year's resolutions, like my sister, I make it a time to reflect and consider where I'm going.

4. The greatest gift is that of the friendship given me.

One of my dear friends truly follows the Hobbit habit of giving Mathoms. She sends gifts for her birthday. I haven't mastered that skill, yet. Part of it, I know, is that I still feel like I don't have much to offer. I'm working on it. So, maybe this year, I'll finally work past that. I have some time yet to figure it out.

I'm accumulating a list of places to which I'd like to donate, and my state rep posted this on his FaceBook page (how did he know? LOL!) :

Packages From Home Things to Donate

5 comments:

  1. Blessing s come in every form and from every source. Recognizing it takes it from passing information to becoming a beautiful gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about your birthday today.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For about the last ten years, I've tried to ignore my birthday.

    Once I got laid off, I started looking forward to the BIG one - the one that would make me eligible for Medicaid and therefore, Praise God, health coverage. Birthdays have a life-cycle all their own. Sometimes they're welcomed -- sometimes they're not.

    When your next one comes, remember your friends with a wee prayer. That's a great Mathom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, I like that Mathom! Thanks ((Sharron))

    ReplyDelete

Exactly