Friday, December 9, 2011

Introducing Laurel Hawkes...

http://laurelhawkes.blogspot.com/

Me, the writer.

Laurel Hawkes was created as a persona, several years ago. However, she started out as Ladyhawk Baggins of Ladyhawkhollow. Yes, that's me, too. Ladyhawk is the one who started writing, almost ten years ago. One thing led to another, and one of the readers of my LOTR fan fiction asked me to try an inspirational historical romance. After giving it a few minutes thought, I agreed. Next thing I knew, I'd completed the novel, and been rejected. The good thing about the rejection letter is that I then qualified as a PRO in Romance Writers of America, which I joined, and then I joined Desert Rose, the local RWA chapter. I've been a member of Desert Rose, since 2007.

It all started with Lord of the Rings. And here I am. A very short version of an incredible journey. There are people in my life that I choose not to invite to share this part of my journey. I don't want the criticism; I second guess myself plenty, without any help from anyone. I don't want constant questions; I question myself enough. I don't want to know how hard it is; I know.

I'm wringing my hands, a sure sign I'm anxious. Frankly, I'm scared silly. I've done my best to protect Laurel Hawkes in every way possible, but if she's going to fly, then she has to risk exposing herself. If she can't feel safe here, with people who are already her friends, she'll never make it out in the cold, cruel world of the open market.

So, all those times I've blogged about projects, I was talking about writing.

This is a Birthday/Christmas gift to myself. Stepping into the light. I feel a bit as if I were an owl, blinking at the brightness. If you know me and my family personally, please be respectful. And yes, there are people in my life of whom I must make such a request. Everybody has them. The request has been made, and that's all I can do. I'm choosing not to continue in the shadows simply to keep from being hurt by them.

This is me, taking a risk.


14 comments:

  1. Hi Judy

    “Begin by knowing you have already arrived!”

    When I saw the photo of the hawk flying it made me think of the novella by Richard Bach “Jonathon Livingston Seagull”. It only takes an hour to read but it is very powerful and its message may last a life time. The novel is about attaining your dreams and through sheer tenacity and perseverance you can overcome obstacles and achieve your goals.

    Below is a link to “Jonathan Livingston Seagull – Be” sung by Neil Diamond with amazing video; very moving.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hdwmo8

    “Fly free and be happy”
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((Molly)) Thank you so much! Jonathan Livingston Seagull is on my list of favorite books. I've read it multiple times, and frequently while I listened to the sound track! One of the good guys in my life was also named Jonathan. And in fact, the hero of my first completed novel is Jonathan Silverton. Bless you, Molly, for being a bless in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!! I surprised at first to see Laurel being introduced, but then I realized that it was you taking your next step into the light and I was very happy! Of course it's risky, but there comes a time when you can't really move forward unless such risks are taken. It will be exciting to see how God chooses to reward your willingness to step out.

    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ((Margaret)) I don't know what the future holds, but I do know Who holds the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness gracious. I had no idea you started writing just about the same time I did. Wow. Must have been an auspicious year!

    I wonder if Margaret started - naw - she's been writing forever!

    Bless you on this new adventure. Remember - you never know what you'll find when you step out the door. May all your adventures be joy-filled. Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sharron! Yes, I do feel swept away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spread your wings and fly, my friend!!!

    “When you have come to the edge of all the light you have
    And step into the darkness of the unknown
    Believe that one of the two will happen to you
    Either you'll find something solid to stand on
    Or you'll be taught how to fly!”

    Sharon, aka Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. (((Sharon))) Thank you so much for that inspiring thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have already begun to soar. I am so proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you for your courage and talent! The world awaits the literary offerings of Laurel Hawkes! Fly high and soar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Anonymous. The encouragement is truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy,

    I think you're amazing and brave, and congrats on the lovely site. As one writer to another, rock on, write on, and don't let doubts weigh you down.


    (hugs)
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks ((Kiki)) I've been offered a contract. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Exactly