Wednesday, December 28, 2011

One more down...

Today, my sister, a professional photographer, took me out for a photo shoot. I dressed in the outfit I thought fit my Laurel Hawkes persona. When we first started working on my branding, this was the skirt and blouse that leapt to my mind. She chose four different spots, and took over a hundred pictures.

I don't like pictures of me. My face is scarred by years of acne. I'm also overweight. It makes my face rounder. My parents have never been kind about my appearance. Neither has a sibling, less immediate family members, acquaintances, and total strangers. I hate dealing with pictures of me. Cookies, cake, fudge, hot chocolate, bread, and more all fell victim to my need to stuff the stress.

That being said, my sister and I laughed, a lot. We started at nine o'clock in the morning. By noon, we had whittled down the hundred plus shots to one. I came home, and she continued to work. By five, she stopped by with the finished product.

Wow! It's me, but better.

The picture is done, beautifully. Thanks Ruth!!

Tomorrow, I'll tackle one more thing on the list.

4 comments:

  1. How excellent! I didn't really think of photo shoots being part of the package, but of course it would be. Even amidst the glory of becoming a writer, there are the scary parts that go along with it. You'll be fine, though -- it's all going to work together for your good, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ((Margaret)) You always lift my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy,
    Forget all those naysayers in your mind, sweetie. Aren't they also ones who doubted that you could be a writer? Uhm, aren't they totally wrong about that, too?

    I can't imagine someone with the love, tenderness, and passion for life like you have as being unattractive. How can all that joy and excitement for your novel and the laughter of the photo shoot not just beam from you? (hug)

    And, on a completely random note, did you ever read Carolyn See's book, "Making a Literary Life"? The end part of it talks in detail about how to promote one's book.

    The book itself is a bit funny and quirky. She has some issues (who doesn't?!?!), but the author-promotion advice seems good.

    Rawr,
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of the book... I have a gift certificate from my birthday I haven't used yet... Thanks ((Kiki))

    ReplyDelete

Exactly