Thursday, April 14, 2011

Who am I?

I have read dozens of books... hundreds of books... thousands of books... I keep the ones that speak to me, the ones that lift me, inspire me, challenge me, change me. All the books that explore my history agree that there are things I didn't learn and should have, and now it's too late. There are things I learned that will be stumbling blocks for the rest of my life. There are things I should have learned in order to be healthy that I didn't. I'm finally accepting the truth. I'm no longer lying to myself that I can overcome the mess that's my life. I've tried to make something of the wreck of my life. I can't. There's too much. It's too big. I will not pretend anymore that there's any chance for the life I always wanted. I'm done.

In the last year, I've been working, slowly but surely, in this direction. I can't make anything of my life, but God can. It isn't too much for God. It isn't too big for God. It isn't too messy for God. It isn't too broken for God. God created the world and all that is in it. God created light. God can create something from my life. It isn't going to be easy, but I know all about that, and I'm not a quitter. Okay, God, what next?

5 comments:

  1. Realizing it's too big for you and you don't have the power or ability in yourself to make it work -- but God does, can and will -- is the biggest step forward you can make in the process!

    Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

    2 Corinthians 12:8-10

    ReplyDelete
  2. A certain Margaret gave me a book quite awhile back called "Shattered Dreams." I put it somewhere as I do many books (when do I get the time to read nowadays?). Well - the book turned up two days ago and I am consuming it.

    That's the way with books, as you said, many times they touch you just as you need them.

    Friends are great to have, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharron, I always love how things turn up precisely when you need them. And how grateful I am for my many God-given friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy are conversations that end up with, OK God what's next?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome Good Friday

Jesus endured suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane, an unjust trial, beating, flogging, a crown of thorns, a grueling walk carrying the cro...