Monday, May 23, 2011

Carpe diem... unexpected...

For those who were not aware, the Rapture was purportedly to occur on the 21st of May at 6:00 pm. This is the billboard put up in place of the previous warning of the end being near: Awkward It makes me laugh. Like many, this whole world ending made me stop and think. I've read the Bible, and agree that if the Son of Man doesn't know, only the Father, than it's pretty arrogant to suggest anyone else knows. I feel sorry for the people who took it seriously. I also decided that it was a good opportunity for me look at this situation differently. I know that many people mocked this little group. Is that really productive? We complain when others mock us, but it's perfectly acceptable to mock someone else? Was this a lost opportunity to conduct a personal self-evaluation? Any day we could be called Home. We know not the day nor the hour. How many souls were called Home this weekend? Simply driving a car ups the possibility of one's life ending abruptly, unexpectedly, and yet everyone still drives, without a second thought. This whole incident did drive home the importance of having my own relationship with God, a relationship close enough that involves reading my scriptures and praying and seeking out all that is good, so that I am able to recognize God's Hand in whatever events occur in my life. I could criticize the dooms dayers, but what good does that do me? It gave me the opportunity to think about what would I do if my time were finite. I'd visit friends far away. There are several places in the world I'd like to see. As it was, money being tight as it is, I didn't do much of anything different. I wouldn't wish my life on anyone, but I wouldn't have become the person I am without it. I'm not sure I actually like myself, but I am able to sit alone with myself, in a quiet room, and not feel uncomfortable or need a distraction from my own thoughts. And when I'm immersed in what I feel is God's plan for me, I am completely at peace with myself.

My prayers are with those who survived the tornados and storms.

5 comments:

  1. "I wouldn't wish my life on anyone, but I wouldn't have become the person I am without it. I'm not sure I actually like myself, but I am able to sit alone with myself, in a quiet room, and not feel uncomfortable or need a distraction from my own thoughts."

    Amen, sister!! Love this, and it applies to more people than you think (me being one of them)!!

    Love to you, and may God ever bless!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Sharon))) God bless! I'm grateful to count you one of my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want to mock them but some people's reactions were so funny. And for some people it really did end that day. I feel sad for those that were taken advantage of in their belief. I feel mad that some unscrupulous person took money from people that wanted something to believe in. I am with you on any given day may be our last but mostly I like what I am doing and wouldn't change a lot. (Probably finish off the bag of homemade cookies. No sense wasting them.)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guy's mistake was in trying to predict exactly when it would all take place, which is for God to decide and no one else to know. That said, it did make me think, too, about whether I'm living as if it could happen at any moment. A good thing to be reminded of, actually, so it wasn't all in vain. ;-)

    I'm back to being Margaret instead of Margaret G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, ooooooo cookies!! :-)

    Glad you're back, Margaret! ;-D

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...