Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Impressions of Navy SEALs...

Yesterday, I read an article about a company that offers the "SEAL experience," because "Every little boy has got a SEAL in them." I was disgusted at first, and then amused, and then annoyed, and now exploring why I felt all those things and more. Starting at the beginning.

All my life, I have been pursuing my own Truth Quest. I stepped up the pursuit over a year ago. Changes were coming, and I knew it, but I did not know in what form. I only knew I needed to more actively pursue embracing who I am. One of the mantras I claimed as my own was: Always tell the truth, especially to yourself. That was soon followed by: The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable; tell the truth anyway.

I grew up being told a lot of lies that were spouted as "truth." The truth is that those lies were opinions, but I was expected to align myself with those home-grown "truths" as a sign of solidarity, proof of my loyalty. It was also a sign of my "sanity." Anyone who didn't agree with those "truths" was uneducated, living in the dark ages, unenlightened, stupid. Respect, among other things, is not something I was taught.

Stripping those "truths" away has been painful. With the SEALs in the news, one of those ugly lies is now in the spotlight. I was taught that anyone who joined the military did so because they weren't bright enough to recognize the need to go to college. I remember questioning this because members of my family served in the military. I was told that they were smart enough to "get out," as quickly as possible. Of course, the family will tell you that there were exceptions, a few, but it is hoped that they come to their senses soon.

When I read about the company offering the "SEAL experience," my first thought was that I wanted to attend, but I know I'm not physically capable. My next thought was that they are only offering a taste of the SEAL workout, not a SEAL experience. I do not know any SEALs, to my knowledge, nor have I done a great deal of research. I've done some reading, over the years. In all that I've read, I've come away with the following impressions:

SEALs have a deep down sense of honor, respect, commitment, courage, patriotism, strength that too many of us do not even scratch on the surface, but I am working on it.
SEALs work as a team like I can't even imagine. I suspect most people can't.
SEALs are educated, in a variety of subjects, to levels that only dedication they understand will take them. I'm working on that one too, though I've no illusions about ever coming even close to their skill sets.
SEALs are required to endure physical training that only the best of the best make it through. With my physical limitations, I wouldn't make it through the first five minutes, but I'm willing to learn from their tenacity. I have some really awful days, but thinking about what they endure during Hell Week, helps me to focus on making it through the moment and not worry about what's coming.

I think what baffles me is this sudden jump-on-the-bandwagon-everyone-be-a-SEAL frenzy. Not everyone can be a SEAL. This has been proven. Ask anyone who didn't make it through the initial screening. The thought of being shot at is not appealing to the vast majority of people. When I read about the rolling in the sand and in and out of the ocean, at all hours, I was grateful I didn't have to do it.

This new "fad" isn't really new. "You can be anything you want to be." Actually, no you can't. Those who spread such lies are setting up others to fail. If you can't carry a tune in a bucket, you will never be an opera singer. If you're 6'8" tall, you will never be a Derby jockey. If you're 4'8" tall, you will never be an NBA player. All I ever wanted to be was a wife and mother. However, I put on a stipulation: I wanted healthy relationships. I haven't married or had children, because I didn't know how to have healthy relationships. I'm learning, now, but it's too late for all those dreams. Dreams that would have been nightmares, if God had granted them, but thankfully God knew best. And I'm all right with that. That being said, there are plenty of possibilities out there. If a dream disappears, find another one.

"If you have enough faith, you can overcome anything." Not always. God is able to do the impossible, but we are not. Job was faithful, but his life wasn't easy. John the Baptist was faithful, as were all the apostles, but it did not end well. Faith does not deliver us; faith sees us through, reminds us we are not alone. Faith is that flickering candle in any place as dark as midnight, offering hope, when all seems hopeless.

What I have learned from the SEALs: SEAL motto: "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday." That will certainly help me keep things in perspective. Work hard; train hard; plan for every contingency and be flexible when the unexpected appears, because it will; give everything and then give more; and never, never, never give up. I am not a SEAL. I will never be a SEAL, but I will learn from the SEALs. And I will keep the SEALs and those who fight for God and country in my prayers, every day.

2 comments:

  1. I know several SEALs. Amazing men that think differently. Training that teaches you to think differently. I would never make the cut but I know that I have been given my own set of trials that I don't think many would be willing to trade with me. Just a thought. You are your own kind of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    You have, and I'm proud of how you've tackled those trials.

    Thanks. (((Ruth)))

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...