Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Heroes... David Barton

A historian and the founder of WallBuilders, I saw David Barton for the first time at American Revival. I'd call him an ambassador of American History. I was amazed and impressed. David has the largest collection of original American documents, second only to the Library of Congress.

I've always been interested in history but never felt I was smart enough to pursue it in any meaningful way. All my life, I've had trouble remembering names and dates. Then I listened to David rattle off passages from various books and letters. Perhaps I should have been even more intimidated, but it actually had the opposite effect on me. No one was going to ask me to recite obscure personal letters and texts. I didn't have to memorize the information; I only needed to learn enough to know what the general information entailed.

Now that I've allowed myself to simply learn to find out what I believe, I'm discovering that I'm able to remember names and general dates better than I thought I could. What an incredible wealth of information has been opened to me, about who I am and where I've come from and why I believe what I believe. And what amazing people I've discovered through their personal stories and histories, people I would never have known without the wonder of books.

David knows what he knows and knows what he believes and isn't shy about sharing it. He is an inspiration to me, and I'm grateful for his courage to stand in the place God has given him to stand.

4 comments:

  1. "...never felt I was smart enough..."

    Isn't it funny how the view of one's self varies, depending on who you ask?

    I think it was just a few days ago that I was reading something you had written and I thought, "Judy is very bright!" You write very well, and that is a very good indication of intelligence.

    DH has said the same of himself - he never thought he was very intelligent. I found that thought to be odd and I told him so. I told him that I am usually more attracted to individuals with above-average intelligence, and I had the confidence to say that I trusted my own judgement enough to know I wasn't talking to some dummy!

    I feel the same about you. I'm happy to hear that you are pursuing an interest of yours. Plus, isn't it great when you aren't being forced to remember something? It does wonders for your memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't have a B.A., and that's for starters; my misperception was fostered from an early age. My perception of myself had to change when I started changing my circle of friend nine years ago.

    Thank you for the compliments. They mean a lot.

    Talking to one of my friends on the phone, today, I was telling her that my memory is much better now that I don't have to keep track of all the lies. LOL! Funny, and true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are enjoying your reborn love of history. In our household the girls had to be stupid so NM could prove how bright she was. Sad thing was a mother never has to prove anything. Kids come believing that mothers are wonderful beings. You have to work fairly hard to disillusion a child. I always admired how smart you were. How easy school seemed to be for you. I also admired your courage when you walked into the counselor's office and got your class changed. I think you are doing great. And by the way, I notice you don't confuse Osama and Obama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Thanks, Ruth! Some things in school were easy. I'd been trained to please the teacher. That doesn't mean I actually retained much of anything I learned. In fact, I remember retaining information only long enough for the exams. And then it was gone. What use was learning it, if you didn't remember it? Now, I'm learning it and remembering it.

    ReplyDelete

REAL Apr 15-20

REAL -  R educe stress  E xercise  A dequate sleep  L ower caloric intake Trying to walk 1 mile 3x a week. Only made it twice this week. The...