Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thank Goodness It's Sunday #88

~Inspiration from other bloggers, who lift my spirit, and help me hold true to my faith. Nikon Sniper posted this last night, and it was another breadcrumb to remind me I'm headed in the right direction. Nikon Sniper: Are You Hiring A New Manager?

~Yummy breakfast and chat with my sister.

~Fun mail.

~Good health. How often does one take that for granted? Then you have a headache, stuffy head, sore throat, and a cough, and feeling better is miraculous. Not well, but being able to think is such a blessing.

~From The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch, page 168: [When asked why they quit BUD/S] Many said, "I lost my motivation," as if it were a pair of reading glasses they had simply misplaced for a moment.

How often have I treated my motivation like it was some object to be lost or found? Instead of blaming some ambiguous something for the loss, I need to ask myself what has changed. What decision did I make that took precedence over my self-motivation?

For example, I've been looking at the same chapter all day. I did this on Thursday, and never did work it out. I opened the chapter on Friday, and kept looking at the same chapter. I moved words around, cut and paste, edited, and rearranged. It was evening before the first paragraph became three, and everything fell into place, and I finished editing five chapters before going to bed. Now, I'm again staring at the same chapter I've been staring at all day. Something isn't right. I was feeling discouraged. What happened to my motivation? Nothing. My motivation is there, and it's strong, or I would have closed the document and done something else. I simply haven't worked through the problem, but I will.

I've gone from helpless victim of fickle fate (or muse if you prefer) to empowered creator, turning the phrases until they are exactly as they are meant to be.

1 comment:

  1. Breakfast was fun! :) I love the last line. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Exactly