Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book list for this week....

I read Morgan Kearns's Fade to Black. I did enjoy the book, by the time I reached the end. Yes, you heard a qualifier in there. I don't find infidelity sexy or admirable or hero/heroine-worthy. The hero and heroine are both in relationships when they meet. In fact, they're both in relationships with narcissists, one of which is actually a psychopath. I'm a strong believer in walking away from a relationship before starting a new one. I was in a relationship with a narcissist, long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I needed to change myself before I considered another relationship. His narcissism was not my fault. My attitude about how others could treat me had been honed by others. I couldn't change him, but I could change me. If you don't take the time to change yourself, then you're going to repeat history. Someone who is willing to cheat on their significant other, even if the other person is a rat, is sacrificing their personal honor. I did end up liking the hero and the heroine and happy for them. Another reason I love this kind of book: It makes me question my personal beliefs. Do I really disapprove of infidelity? Some people think it's sexy and exciting. Nope. I don't. Not at all. Morgan gives plenty of page time to the guilt they feel, so neither does she. She explored a human problem. She also gave me the opportunity to explore why I believe what I do. I don't believe in having a fall back answer like "It's against my religion." (Which it is, but it isn't the point.) I'm sorry, but that is a lame answer. You're using your religion as an excuse, a crutch. Grow a backbone. I don't like it because it's dishonorable. It dishonors every person involved and those whose lives they touch. It dishonors the personal relationships and the ideas embodied by those relationships. I'm glad Morgan wrote the book, and that she redeemed her characters in the end. It's a keeper.

Note: I had the opportunity to ask Morgan why she'd decided to write something so risky. I was right: she doesn't think infidelity is okay. Her reply that her characters had lead her there was one I definitely understood. Characters have a way of taking you places you never planned on going.

I loved Morgan Kearns's In It To Win It, the next in the series. It qualifies as steamy, with some drama. The hero was hero worthy, and the heroine found a special place in my heart.

Out of Left Field, the third book in Morgan Kearns's "Deadlines and Diamonds" series, is on the top of the TBR pile. The first two books I own on Kindle. This one, I bought the paperback. Yep, Jimmy Thomas is on the cover. :-) It was the one book I wanted from the Arizona Dreamin' Event. I almost didn't work up the courage, but at the last, I asked both Morgan and Jimmy to sign it.

At the conference, Morgan talked about upcoming books. I'm looking forward to them. (muttering under my breath: write faster) :-D

For the record: I've read several other books. Some simply aren't worth noting. Some I wanted to throw against the wall. I really, really hate stupid heroines. A few were okay but only because I skimmed. My keepers are not about being okay: I have to love them, or they're gone. I only write about the keepers.

4 comments:

  1. Judy,
    Thanks for taking the time to talk about my books. I'm glad you enjoyed them! I loved meeting you at Arizona Dreamin' and am glad to have been able to answer your question.

    mwah!
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Morgan! I've finished "Out of Left Field," and so looking forward to your next books. You write great stories, worth reading. It was a joy to be in your book club and hear about your process, which I found inspiring, and what's coming down the road. Keep writing!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when blogger is weird. It said the comment hadn't been posted. It lied. So I deleted the repeat.

      Delete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...