Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Out of Left Field by Morgan Kearns...


We'll start with planning to buy the book. I first heard Morgan Kearns talk about
Out of Left Field at the Glendale Chocolate Affair. I hadn't read a single book by her, yet. I took one of her pretty little book cover cards, with chocolate attached, and didn't think too much about it. I was busy. Then I started seeing her on Facebook. She posted her cover for Out of Left Field, and hey! It's Jimmy! Enough said.

Yes, I have purchased the occasional book for the cover alone.

On facebook, she started talking about having the books at Arizona Dreamin'. I thought, "Why not?" Then I thought, "It's the third book. You might want to read the first two." I did. I knew I wanted book three. Arizona Dreamin' had a bookstore, with books at a discounted price. I was on a budget. I allowed myself to buy one book.


I loved Out in Left Field! Xavier captured my heart, and Frankie is so sweet. Jimmy on the cover is a bonus. :-) This is the third book in Morgan's series "Deadlines and Diamonds." Each book is capable of being a stand alone read. I enjoy seeing characters from other books make an appearance. It's comforting to see old friends. Morgan's books are on my must buy list.

One of the things I love about Morgan's books: You cannot read one and think, "They're all variations on that." Each book is completely different. There are underlying similarities, as should be, because a book reflects an author at the very core of who they are. I don't mean settings or how steamy a book is or isn't. I mean things like honor, do-or-die, courage. I'm so looking forward to reading Morgan's other books. Wish lists are wonderful things.

From here on out, it's spoilers:

I fully expected to dislike Xavier. I did. He was a jerk. I wondered how he could possibly be found hero worthy. However, I now know Morgan's style well enough to know she'll work it out in a satisfying manner. She did.

The toy hunt is adorable.

Taking the Freedom Walk with them was an unexpected and enjoyable treat.

I wasn't surprised to learn Xavier's history. I was surprised by Frankie, and I loved it! I kept thinking it wasn't possible because nobody writes heroines like that. I know there are plenty of people who probably thought it was unbelievable, but not me.

I'm so glad Frankie held out for what she wanted in the long run and didn't settle for what she wanted right now. It really was a refreshing read.

I'm still smiling just thinking about it. Well done. Or is that home run? :-)

This is a book I'll be rereading, though I may need to buy a second copy so I don't wear out my autographed one. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! I'm frantically working my fingers to the bone to get Santiago's story ready for you. :) Cover shoot in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoohoo!! I'm looking forward to seeing the cover posted, and I'm loving your teasers.

      Delete

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...