Thursday, June 21, 2012

Week Fifty-Two of REAL...

One Year Mark

Time to reflect. How am I doing? One year ago, I started this plan, June 23rd. At the time, I was bouncing around 240 lb. Sometimes higher, sometimes a little lower. Waist circumference was 42". I walked two miles on Saturdays, with my sister. I did 30 reps of my basic physical therapy exercises (three upper body exercises), with no weights. I started with one 1 rep of my SEAL puppy, though I added quickly, but we're looking at how I started. I mean I did one push up, one crunch, and one count of flutter kicks. Really. I had to start somewhere. I couldn't kneel, at all.

Reminders: REAL - Reduce stress Exercise Adequate sleep Lower caloric intake

What Navy SEALs are required to do to make it into BUD/S:
http://navyseal.s5.com/requirements.html

RIght up front: Never in a million years could I do what is required. However, I needed to start somewhere. Considering how fit the SEALs are, I figured it was a good place to start. So my SEAL puppy reps consist of girls' pushups, crunches, and flutter kicks, a SEAL training basic. I started with doing one of each. I'm maintaining my 33 reps but working on holding the extensions.

The 15th: weigh in: 232.6 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep.

The 16th: weigh in: 232.2 lb. Three-mile walk. Physical therapy.

The 17th: weigh in: 232.2 lb.

The 18th: weigh in: 232.4 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep. I know it looks like I'm at a plateau. I'm not. I've been stressing, and that makes it difficult to lose weight. In part, I need to get over the idea of dropping below 230 lb. I'm still struggling with thinking in terms of not hiding behind my weight. I'm not there yet, but I'm not giving up.

The 19th: weigh in: 232.2 lb. One-mile walk. Physical therapy.

The 20th: weigh in: 233.8 lb. What? Oh. I'm stressed. I haven't been eating every few hours, instead when I'm hungry enough to distract me from working on the edits. Also had a bit of a temper tantrum. Today I did my usual routine: SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep. I'll be more aware, today.

The 21st: weigh in: 234.8 lb. Waist circumference: 39". One-mile walk. Physical therapy. Yes, I'm stressed. Really stressed. Today. It ends. I will figure out a way to find peace.

So, a year later: I'm 10 lb lighter, bouncing around 230 lb. I walk 2 miles on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and 1 mile on Tuesday and Thursday, and 2-4 miles on Saturday. I do 33 reps of my SEAL adapted routine 2x on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I do 33 reps of my physical therapy (6 upper body exercises) 3x Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, with 2-lb weights. I'm able to kneel by myself and rise by myself. I am able to lay on my right side without sciatica pain. Not for every long, but it's more than I've been able to do since before 2004.

Inspiration, at least to me (Feb 2012):



The above picture was taken June 1st, 2012. Can't wait to see the next picture with Jimmy. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

TBR 2024

41 .  Not Dead Yet ( Guardian series Book 6 )  by  Traci Hunter Abramson suspense romance.  42.   Secrets of St. Augustine (Sinister Secrets...