Saturday, March 26, 2011

Reading Day...

The Tolkien Society has set aside 25 March for Reading Day. I'm a member of a Tolkien group in L.A., and they arrange to visit a local library close to the 25th. It was scheduled for today, this year. Yes, this is the trip I'm missing. We dress in costume and read favorite passages from Tolkien's books. I usually read the Flight to the Ford, because Frodo confronts the Ringwaiths himself. I find it very brave. A few years ago, I was asked to read the Destruction of the Ring as well. I enjoyed doing both. Again, what I miss MOST about L.A. are my friends.

What I did instead, today: I attend the local Ren Faire with my dad. He enjoys seeing the shows with no shopping, so that's what we did. I chose to go in costume. It was fun having a dad ask if his son could have his picture taken with me. Of course! It isn't unusual for people to think I work there. I don't mind. If I had the stamina, I think I'd enjoy doing exactly that. I met some friends I haven't seen in years and unfortunately could only remember one of the names. At least it was the name of the person I'd known the longest. I had an enjoyable chat with my nephew when we stopped by his home, and one of my friends on the other side of the country called for a chat. Now, I'm going to curl up with a book.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day. Just not the one you wanted. Sorry you missed your friends.

    ReplyDelete

Exactly