Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Silence is Golden... or not...

Like most things, there is another side of the coin. It is that other side that has been niggling at me lately.

"Silence in the face of evil is evil itself. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Every time I speak up, every time I make a stand, I am terrified. But I'm endeavoring to learn to "feel the fear and do it anyway." As I struggle to change from abuse victim to abuse survivor, I'm learning to recognize that there are times when silence is the only answer, and times when silence is no answer at all. Silence can be powerful, but it can also be weak. Notice that Dietrich Bonhoeffer's quote has a qualification: Silence in the face of evil...

Evil is real. You only have to be touched by it once to know beyond a shadow of a doubt. And one doesn't have to actually be touched by it to know it's real.

There are only two sides: God's and the adversary's. Every choice we make takes us closer to one or the other. I know there are those who are more than willing to judge my choices and decree which side I'm choosing. Fortunately, God knows me and knows why I've made the choices I have.

I have a lot to learn about speaking up and remaining silent. Blessedly, God is patient in His teaching. Jesus Christ is the Great Exemplar. Sometimes He spoke up, and sometimes He remained silent. Sometimes, He allowed others to speak for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...