Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Another brain dump...

Following up on the Google and FaceBook annoyance of changing their "look" and other things.

I've finally found it amusing.

Google and FaceBook like to consider themselves cutting edge. It makes them feel important and smart.

I've been looking at their "new" look for the past month. Every time I look at it, I keep thinking it reminds me of something. I've scratched my head, and struggled to place why it seems so familiar.

I figured it out.

Ladies and gentlemen, the most advanced technology companies (as they like to believe themselves to be) in the world have reverted to the Victorian era.

Really.

Google it, or better yet, use GoodSearch.com, which is powered by Yahoo. Go ahead, check out the images.

It's busy. It's cluttered.

It's the new Google and FaceBook look on your computer.

Congratulations Google and FaceBook for stepping back over a century. The look isn't new. There's a reason why it didn't last. It gave way to styles by the likes of Frank Lloyd Wright. Neater, clearer, more streamlined.... oh, that's what Google and FaceBook are leaving behind.

See, everything old is new again. I simply never thought I'd see the Victorian style come back into fashion, especially not through the technical giants of the internet.

It's funny, if it weren't quite so pathetic to see those who brag about coming up with new ideas falling back on something from the 1800s AND calling it "new." Not new guys. There's a reason it went out of style.

You know what this means? They'll figure it out, and changing everything, again. sigh.

2 comments:

  1. You aren't alone. Paul Graham (a noteworthy Silicon Valley investor) just today commented, "Google used to give me a page of the right answers, fast, with no clutter. Now the results seem inspired by the Scientologist principle that what's true is what's true for you. And the pages don't have the clean, sparse feel they used to. Google search results used to look like the output of a Unix utility. Now if I accidentally put the cursor in the wrong place, anything might happen." http://paulgraham.com/ambitious.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!

      Love the article! Thanks, w! And here it is as a proper link for those who want to check it out.

      http://paulgraham.com/ambitious.html

      This is a topic I'll be revisiting soon.

      Delete

Exactly