Thursday, March 1, 2012

Week Thirty-Six of REAL...

Reminders:

Reduce stress
Exercise
Adequate sleep
Lower caloric intake

What Navy SEALs are required to do to make it into BUD/S:
500 yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke 12.5 minutes 10 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups No time limit 10 minute rest
Run 1.5 miles wearing boots and long pants 11.5 minutes

Here's the link if you're interested in the whole thing: http://navyseal.s5.com/requirements.html

RIght up front: Never in a million years could I do what is required. However, I needed to start somewhere. Considering how fit the SEALs are, I figured it was a good place to start. So my SEAL puppy reps consist of girls' pushups, crunches, and flutter kicks, a SEAL training basic. I started with doing one of each. This week, I've worked up to 14.

The 24th: weigh in: 229.2 lb. Increase by 10% SEAL puppy rep up to 14. One-mile easy walk. It's the first walk since I've been sick, so I didn't push for speed, only to help my back loosen up and relax. One more SEAL puppy rep, though me lower back refused to allow the flutter kicks. It's discouraging when you can't raise your feet six inches off the floor. I did my physical therapy without weights. I also did some of my early PT stuff, which helped to loosen the tension in my low back. A couple on Tylenol didn't go amiss either.

The 25th: weigh in: 230 lb. Easy walking at the Ren Faire, today. A lot of standing, doing the rocking back and forth my physical therapist taught me to help loosen up my back. It seems to help. It's that or the trade off of Tylenol and ibuprofen. Again and again, thank You God for those anti-inflammatories and pain relievers.

The 26th: weigh in: 230.2 lb. If I wasn't sure I was under the weather, I am now. I slept 12 hours, but I am recovering. Thanks, God.

The 27th: weigh in: 230.6 lb. Okay, now I'm dealing with losing weight being healthy, again, mostly. Back is still bothering me a bit, but I was able to do a SEAL puppy rep first thing, followed by a one-mile walk, which took me about 23 minutes - yes, it's that bad, but improving - and one more SEAL puppy rep, including flutter kicks. Thanks God! Recovering from low back problems always takes longer than I'd like, but if I'm smart about it, it doesn't take as long as it used to take, which was months. Also did my physical therapy, but without weights.

The 28th: weigh in 230.8 lb. Not bad considering how badly I ate, yesterday. Desert Rose meeting was great. I ate better, today. I'm feeling better. Thank God.

The 29th: weigh in: 231.2 lb. Sigh. I'm eating normally again, and not quite up to my exercise normal, but easing back. One SEAL puppy rep. One and a half mile walk in 30 minutes, using my staff. It actually did help. One more SEAL puppy rep. Physical therapy, with 1 lb weights.

March

The 1st: weigh in: 230.2 lb. Waist circumference: 39". Not bad, considering I'm well again, eating normally, and finally easing back into my healthy habits. Reminder to self, because I haven't done this in a while: I do not need to hide anymore. I don't need the fat to protect me. I'm learning how to set and maintain healthy boundaries. Taking care of myself is honorable.

Inspiration, at least to me:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...