Thursday, March 15, 2012

Week Thirty-Eight of REAL...

Reminders: REAL - Reduce stress Exercise Adequate sleep Lower caloric intake

What Navy SEALs are required to do to make it into BUD/S:
500 yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke 12.5 minutes 10 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups No time limit 10 minute rest
Run 1.5 miles wearing boots and long pants 11.5 minutes

Here's the link if you're interested in the whole thing: http://navyseal.s5.com/requirements.html

RIght up front: Never in a million years could I do what is required. However, I needed to start somewhere. Considering how fit the SEALs are, I figured it was a good place to start. So my SEAL puppy reps consist of girls' pushups, crunches, and flutter kicks, a SEAL training basic. I started with doing one of each. This week, I try to increase by 10%. I've worked up to 16. My physical therapy (exercises given to me by my physical therapist for my back problems) reps are up to 44.

The 9th: weigh in: 231.8 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk, in 39 minutes. SEAL puppy rep. Note to self: Remember to share food. For example: Potatoes were on sale. Great deal. Not if I end up throwing some away because I can't eat through them fast enough. Instant potatoes are so much better when you're cooking for only one.

The 10th: weigh in: 232.6 lb. But I ate better, yesterday! Oh, wait. I stressed a bit, yesterday. Stress creates cortisol. Cortisol is a weight adder. I enjoyed an easy one-mile walk, this morning, breaking in my new L.A. Gear shoes. Physical therapy.

The 11th: weigh in: 231.8 lb. I took myself for an easy one-mile walk this morning. It wasn't for the fresh air. I live in the city. The weather was pleasant enough. More people are out and about, so I find myself having to interact more, which is a little stressful for me. I'm feeling restless. I'd hoped the walk would help calm me. It didn't. The one benefit I can point to is I talked myself out of preparing eggs for breakfast. I love eggs. I'm also allergic to eggs. I've been known to take an allergy pill first, so I can have the eggs. Wouldn't it be better to simply avoid them? Yes, but I really want the eggs. There is something else going on, and I don't know what it is. A lot of times, for me, it's a sense of something coming. So, buckle up, buttercup.

The 12th: weigh in: 230 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk, in about 40 minutes. SEAL puppy rep. Eating: Didn't do well.

The 13th: weigh in 229.8 lb. Okay, I did horrible on eating, today. Not going there. Having admitted it, I'm only half way through the day at the time of this writing. The rest of the day will be better. I read an article last week about how we wash our hair too much, stripping it of the oil it needs to be healthy. It suggested only washing your hair twice a week. I thought, "Why not give it a try for a month." I've barely made it a week. Going back to washing more often, though not every day. Haven't done that for years. I simply don't feel like I'm properly taking care of myself. I'll be more careful about using less shampoo, but this time, I'm disagreeing with the experts... oh, like I never do that... only all the time. :-) Living and learning what works for me and what doesn't. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. Shoot. I'm having trouble adjusting to Daylight Savings Time. We don't actually go on DST, but the weather is only going to grow hotter, so I figure I might as well start shifting my walk time to earlier in the day, along with the rest of the country. Overslept, this morning. Hate that. I end up feeling behind the rest of the day.

The 14th: weigh in: 231 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk in 38 minutes. SEAL puppy rep. Reflecting on yesterday, I realized why I ate badly. I'm feeling out of control. Some things have been happening that have left me feeling trapped. Eating is my escape. Not a healthy one. I know it. Today, I'm starting over. I've tried the eating every four hours, and it hasn't gone well, but I was still in the "meals" mode. I'm going to try something different, today. I'm going to eat every three hours, one thing. I started the morning with Carnation Instant Breakfast. Bagel. Yogurt with blueberries. Potato with beef. Hot chocolate. With an apple for a snack in there somewhere. We'll see how I do by the end of the day. It went well.

The 15th: weigh in: 231.4 lb. Waist circumference: 29 ". One-mile walk, and physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. I'm going to try eating every three hours again, only one or two things. It will be about the same amount of food, maybe less, than I would have eaten if I'd prepared meals.

Inspiration, at least to me:




And Happy Birthday, Jimmy!! The world is definitely a better place. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love my LA Gear! I think the new pair are finally broken in.

      Delete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...