Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Follow up on last Friday's post...

I've done a little more homework.

The original video was released in 2006. Did you know the monster left Uganda? He hasn't been seen in six years. He may even be dead.

Let's say he's still alive, and it is arranged for some government to kill him. Did you know US troops were sent to Uganda? Quite a while ago? The information I've seen coming out of Uganda is that this monster isn't a problem there anymore. In fact, this whole campaign is hurting them because they're trying to heal from it, but this video is ripping off the scab, not to clean the wound but because it serves someone else's agenda.

Let's pretend he's alive, and someone manages to hunt him down and kill him. Then what?

Hitler died, but still the Nazi party lives on.

Stalin and Mao are dead, but Communism lives on.

Binladen was killed. Al quida continues, and has been taken into the fold of the Taliban.

Che is dead, and people wear his face on their tshirt. The same with Mao and Stalin and Hitler. Millions died at their hands.

Do you really want to make a name for one more monster?

There is a call for posters to be plastered everywhere on April 20th. Did you know it's Hitler's birthday? Coincidence? Maybe. But eerily coincidental, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, the idea makes me shiver.

What unsettles me about this whole thing? People are joining a cause they know nothing about, and are unwilling to do their homework to find out what is true and what isn't. They are giving in to emotions that have been expertly plucked by skilled manipulators. The manipulators brag about their credentials. I dated a guy who bragged about being a great manipulator. I foolishly believed he would never manipulate me. I ended the relationship for other reasons, but when I look back I can see how he manipulated me, over and over.

I've learned to be careful. For the most part, I prefer to let people choose their way, whether I agree with it or not, and generally I'll say nothing. Not this time. You're still free to do as you like, but I will not stay silent.

There is something terribly wrong with this propaganda.

May God protect us from wolves in sheep's clothing.

4 comments:

  1. What a strange episode this has been. Seems like another meme zapping its way through the internet to be forgotten by the middle of next week. I've read one interesting article about a showing of the film in Northern Uganda. Quote:

    The audience was at first puzzled to see the narrative lead by an American man – Jason Russell – and his young son. Towards the end of the film, the mood turned more to anger at what many people saw as a foreign, inaccurate account that belittled and commercialized their suffering, as the film promotes Kony bracelets and other fundraising merchandise, with the aim of making Kony infamous.

    "If people in those countries care about us, they will not wear T-shirts of Joseph Kony for any reason -- that would celebrate our suffering."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the additional information, w.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for doing your homework and sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and again an extra thank you to w.

      Delete

Exactly