Thursday, March 22, 2012

Week Thirty-Nine of REAL...

Reminders: REAL - Reduce stress Exercise Adequate sleep Lower caloric intake

What Navy SEALs are required to do to make it into BUD/S:
500 yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke 12.5 minutes 10 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups No time limit 10 minute rest
Run 1.5 miles wearing boots and long pants 11.5 minutes

Here's the link if you're interested in the whole thing: http://navyseal.s5.com/requirements.html

RIght up front: Never in a million years could I do what is required. However, I needed to start somewhere. Considering how fit the SEALs are, I figured it was a good place to start. So my SEAL puppy reps consist of girls' pushups, crunches, and flutter kicks, a SEAL training basic. I started with doing one of each. This week, I try to increase by 10%. I've worked up to 17.

The 16th: weigh in: 229.6 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk, in 38 minutes. SEAL puppy rep. Homemade hamburger, potato, yogurt with blueberries, bagel, hot chocolate.

The 17th: weigh in: 229.2 lb. One-mile walk. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. Carnation Instant Breakfast, potato and chicken, apple and cheese, bagel, yogurt with blueberries, and hot chocolate. Even if I don't strictly follow what I plan to eat, I do much better than if there is no plan at all. I know, funny how that works. Yes, that was snarky, because I've often read about the importance of menus, but when I followed the common plan, I always failed. This time, I'm doing it my way, and it seems to be working. As I've mentioned on several occasions, food is a huge issue for me, on so many levels.

The 18th: weigh in: 228.6 lb. Crackers, potatoes and beef, yogurt and blueberries, hot chocolate, with an apple and cheese as my extra option if I want it.

The 19th: weigh in: 228 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk, in 40 minutes. SEAL puppy rep. Crackers, hamburger, cookies, yogurt with blueberries, hot chocolate. Tired, but not an unusual state for me to be in this time of the month.

The 20th: weigh in 226.4 lb. One-mile walk. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. Carnation Instant Breakfast, bread, peach pie, potatoes, yogurt and blueberries, crackers, hot chocolate. Simply trying to stay on top of things.

The 21st: weigh in: 227 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep. Ham and cheese sandwich, peach pie, yogurt and blueberries, crackers, hot chocolate. Took a look in the mirror, today. I'm definitely losing weight. Funnily enough, I don't like how I look. Before, I was a few round balls smoothly squished all together. Now, I'm a bunch of smaller round balls squished together. Having created that delightful picture in your mind, I'm thrilled to be able to bend over and tie my shoes without my tummy getting in the way! Whoohoo!

The 22nd: weigh in: 228.2 lb. Waist circumference: 29". One-mile walk. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. Ham sandwich, hot chocolate and chocolate croissant, crackers, yogurt and blueberries, and apple. We'll see how the day goes. I'm pleased with the progress.

Inspiration, at least to me:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...