Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Inspiration from reading The 7...

I've been visiting The 7 website since I finished reading the book in early January. I pre-ordered it and read it in one weekend. I found it inspiring.

Most people have no idea how much I fight with putting myself "out there," in any way, shape, or form. It terrifies me. There's a reason my parents nicknamed me "hermit," back when I was a tween. Every social encounter, online or in person, is a victory for me. I did it. I didn't hide. I didn't stay silent. I didn't remain unobserved. I didn't cower, in the corner, praying I wouldn't be noticed.

I've been lurking at The 7 website since it first appeared, and finally stirred up enough courage to post under the second post by Dr. Ablow. I was so touched by the people posting remarks, and more especially the love and support they were giving each other. I finally add my own post:

The most important thing I've gained here is knowing that I am not alone. I'm sorry that so many people are in so much pain, and selfishly grateful to know I have some remarkable company, so maybe I'm not so bad. I'm not the only one who grew up feeling worthless, wondering what I had to offer, struggling to forgive, feeling trapped by the past, and worrying about where my future is going. When I read The 7 I was less than half way through writing the self-help book my counselor asked me to write, last summer. I read The 7, and knew I couldn't continue to waffle about what I was doing. I finished The 7 in two days, and decided that my own book needed to be finished, the first draft anyway, by the end of the month. Last night, I sent the rough draft to a dear friend who has edited professionally. I did it. I'm excited and terrified at the same time, and wondering what in the world I was thinking. Oh, that's right, Glenn and Keith were inspired to write a book that inspired me. Some of this stuff is plain scary. Taking that step into the darkness and trusting God will provide a light, soon. May God bless each of us in our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...