Saturday, July 2, 2011

My Heroes... Corrie Ten Boom

My counselor gave me homework, a few years ago: Read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, published in 1971. It was my first autobiography in years. Corrie Ten Boom lived in Holland, in 1937. She lived at home with her parents, was single, and about my age. As she described herself, I felt a kinship with her. She tells of the horrors brought about by the Nazis. Their Christian family hid Jews from the Nazis, and were caught. Corrie and her sister are sent to the same concentration camp. I often felt like Corrie's inner struggles were my own. I wanted to be more like her sweet-natured sister, but I was content to be more like Corrie. I was going to say the most memorable part of the story is... but there are so many bits and pieces that fill my mind. The part of the story I seem to quote the most is when they are in the concentration camp, and Corrie's sister says that they must thank God for everything. To which Corrie replies dismayed, "Even the fleas?" "Even the fleas." So they thanked God for the fleas. Corrie reveals that they learned later that their barrack was the only one with a Bible study group, let alone a Bible, because the guards refused to enter for inspections, due to the fleas. It's a reminder to me that those pesky, unpleasant moments are blessings in disguise. I'm grateful for such an incredible example of faith and courage.

2 comments:

  1. Judy:
    I read that book a few years ago and was struck by her strength and faith amid such horrors. She is definitely a good hero to have. And yes, I understand wanting to be more like the sweet-natured sister. LOL It's like how I wish to be more like St. John who loves the Lord so well, but most of the time, I feel like Saint Peter, quick-tempered, fierce, and stumbling ... but always getting back up again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

It's difficult to celebrate a day started by a man who murdered his girlfriend and composted her. Really. Not a person follow, in any wa...