Friday, July 8, 2011

Quite the rant, yesterday...

I'm feeling less frenetic, today. What a blessing. How did I unwind? First, I made cookies, my favorite chocolate chip cookies. It does tend to wear me out a bit, but it's fun. Then I made bread. Best therapy on the planet. I haven't made bread in years. Then, two weeks ago, I bought a loaf of bread for $2.19. Last week, I bought another loaf of bread, but it was $2.29. This week, when I went shopping, that loaf of bread was $3.29. What?

Many years ago, I owned a bread machine. I didn't like how huge the loaf turned out. I didn't like the texture of the bread. And making bread wasn't what it used to be, for me. It's been a long time, since the last time I made bread. Today, I remembered why I enjoy it. Start with a Kitchen Aid mixer, with the whip attachment. Heat on the stove the buttermilk, sugar, salt, and butter so it's warm enough for the yeasty beasties, but not too warm. Do not roast the yeasty beasties. They die, and then the bread doesn't grow. Very sad. Next: In the mixer, blend flour and yeasty beasties. I used up my better-for-bread-flour. Then add warm milk mixture to flour mixture. Whip for 30 seconds on low or medium, and then on high for 3 minutes. Change out the whip for the hook. Do not take that the wrong way. I hated it when the old boyfriend made sexual innuendos out of everything I said no matter how innocent it was. Jerk. Anyway. With the hook attachment, gradually add flour, until dough bonds together. Remove to floured board and knead until dough is not sticky. I think I added a little too much flour, even though I hadn't added even the minimum amount required. Weather does that. I love kneading the bread. I don't know why. I don't care that I don't know why. I simply love this part. Total kneading should be at least ten minutes, making it a bit of a workout, if you're doing it right. That gentle push I see on the cooking shows, always makes me raise my eyebrows and shake my head. My way is better, because I said so. Hey, the bread is proof positive. Because I used rapid rise yeast, I let the dough rest for fifteen minutes. Then I cut the dough in approximately equal halves. While one half rested, I rolled the other half out. I also love this part. There is something incredibly satisfying about the squeaks and pops of the air bubbles formed by the yeasty beasties. Shape into a loaf and drop into a loaf pan. Repeat with the other loaf. I have stoneware, and love how it evenly cooks the loaf, and gives it a wonderful crust. That's me. I let the yeasty beasties do their job, which actually took longer than I thought it would, but they did their job, so I'm not complaining. Pop the loaves into the oven, and bake. When they sound hollow when you knock on the crust, they're done. Out of the oven, out of the pan, and onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool, and serve with butter. Life is good, and so is the bread.

I don't know what snapped, but between yesterday and today, I'm feeling much more like myself now. The black cloud has dissipated... oh. Sigh. Well that explains a lot. We've had storms rolling in for the past several nights. Today is the first day in about a week that there have been no storms. Unfortunately, I struggle with barometric headaches. Add to that, I used to love storms, until one particularly violent storm fried my computer. They've made me a little nervous ever since. It's probably only a small part of the story. There's been a lot going on, but I am feeling more lighthearted, for which I am truly grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Love your description of baking bread. I could smell it cooking clear to my house. Yum....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about your baking/cooking always relaxes me, Judy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is yummy, Ruth!

    You're welcome, Jonsi. It seems to do the same thing for me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Brain Dump

I have the right to defend myself, but you don't have the right to defend yourself. I can do insider trading, but you can't. I have ...